Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rescued another one. Failed my goal.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As you may know, I was headed to Phoenix this weekend, and I wanted to visit all three GC's (only made it to two), and The Bass Place (made it). I'm going to give major kudos to The Bass Place a little later in Miscellaneous, but now, I want to talk about my rescue and resultant failure. I went to the GC over on Peoria, looked around a little, and hanging inconspicuously on the wall behind some Ibanex thingies or whatever, a used Roscoe Beck V, 3-color sunburst, perfect condition. Except for a really nasty rattle on the open E string.

Hmmmm ... some genius had wound the string from bottom to top on the peg, so it wasn't even resting on the bottom of the nut slot. OK, so I fixed that, then played it through some Ampeg POS, and it sounded real good (not because of the Ampeg, of course). They had it marked at $999, way too high, even though it's in new condition. The story is that the owner was moving to Alaska, and sold all of his gear to GC. Well, I sure as snot wasn't going to pay $1k for a used RB5, and I wasn't in a haggling mood (this was on the same day that I drove from Groom Lake to Phoenix), so I split.

Later, I got to thinking what I'd be willing to pay for a cherry RB5, and I figured about $700 would be a good number, since GC only had $500 in it, and they'd be getting 40% markup (or 28% margin, if you prefer), so the salesman wouldn't end up on mac and cheese over this. So I went back on Saturday, and plugged it in again, and a different salesman (older, more knowledgeable) came over, and I said I'd buy the bass for $700, assuring him I buy tons o'gear at GC. So the dude says "What's your name man?" and I replied Munjibunga Malthus, so he looks me up in the computer. Then he says, "It looks like we can do it, man."

So he takes the usual forever plus a day to get approval, then I said, "OK, I'll play it a little more while you go get the case." You can see it coming, right? "Oh, this doesn't come with a case." Me: "Dude, it's a Roscoe Beck. They all come with a case." He goes and gets the case, which is a Fender Deluxe case, but not the tweed. But it had beautiful gold short plush instead of that gawdawful orange shag in it, so what the heck, I'm down with it.

OK, so there you are. My failure? I was not going to buy a bass in 2004. Crap. But I just couldn't bear thinking about some 14-year-old getting it down off the wall, slapping the piss out of it, scratching the back with his buckle, then somebody's mom buying it without even knowing what it is. I mean, what else could I do? I even went for permission rather than forgiveness this time. I mean, is that so terrible?

Oh yeah, I'll get some pictures up pretty quick, but it looks just like a sunburst RB5.

2. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    Good Save! Reminds me of a story I read on this forum about some kid's Mom buying him a Marcus Miller as his first bass, and him never using itI :eek: and I hate those GC (and Sam Ash) wanker kids, who feel the need to turn the volume up to 11.5 and crank out nu-metal. :spit:

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    looks like you need more of the 12 step program... but then again you may not even admit you have a problem... I never did!

Cool bass.... I have always wanted to try one out!

P@

4. Wow. "OK, I'll play it a little more while you go get the case." Priceless!

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I thought your failure was to whip out the "I buy tons of gear at GC" clichè. I bet that sales guy has never heard that one before.

And Malthus?! You're slippin', Munji. Now we know that you actually live in southern California and your last name. Pretty soon we'll have the TB secret service at your doorstep. It's only a matter of time. They've heard what you've been saying about Ampeg, and they're not happy.

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Malthus, as in Malthusian belt. Google it. Anyway, I didn't mention it has a tort' 'guard. Ain't never seen none of those on no RB5. Also, the guy checked the computer to make sure I wasn't yanking chain about the tons o' gear, which I wasn't.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    So, the strings sucked so bad, I put on a set of TI Powerbass roundwounds that I got at The Bass Place, and it sounded mo' bitchen. The B string in that set is only .119, so I feared the mythical "floppy B," but no, it's fine. Very growly yet full-sounding strings. Then my Green RB5 was getting jealous, because it's had a set of horrible-sounding Rotos on it for years, so I re-strung it with some Fender strings I had laying around, and it sure sounds a lot better. On that set, the danged B string is a .130. Bullum. My other choice was some D'Addario Slowounds, which I like, but I already have them on two other basses, and I didn't want to copy.

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    So... are you going to sell a bass to balance out your goal?

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    he's gonna have to to be able to justify buying that pair of aggie 4x12s :p :p :p

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I am Benjamin Strange and I approve this message.

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Those same wanker kids who plays at mass volumes proably hates us for not playing loud enough. :D

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Munji, your story warms the heart.....
    so now you'll sell me that ugly azz FMT?.. great! thanks! i'll just play it a little more while YOU go get the case.... :D

13. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    that depends on how much you've bought from him in the past... :D

P@

14. BuT FiElDy Is T3H RoXoR5!!!11!!!1one

...sorry :bag:

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    mmmmmmmmmmmm ... welllllllllllllllllllllll ... mmmmmmmmmmmmmnope. Sorry. I've been giggin' that FMT a lot lately. I neeeeeeeeed it.

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    that's what i thought , Munji .. worth a try, though... :smug:
    Munji don't sell nuttin' !!

17. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    let's see this baby!! :bag:

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, here's some pics. Ignore that bottom speaker behind it. Shut up.

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    If you ever fell like selling that bass let me know...could do wonders for US / Australia relations! :D

20. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Mmmmmm.....Roscoe Beck V, feeding my GAS for a passive 5. That tort guard against the sunburst looks awesome. ::checks wallet:: and wonders out loud "to get another bass....to upgrade cabs-the eternal debate...bass".

That's all