1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rescuing another lost bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nasonm, Oct 5, 2013.

1. nasonm

nasonm

Jan 28, 2004
    Bangor, ME
    Some people rescue kittens and puppies, I rescue sad looking instruments on craigslist. I clean them up and give them a new home. Today I rescued this lil' guy from right here in Hampden. After a good cleaning and some new knobs, he's ready for some short-scale retro bass action!

DSCN0205_zpsdbde759c.

DSCN0206_zps7c630b27.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It looks great. How does it sound? The pickups sort of remind me of my first bass that my mother gave me when I was 15 except it had two pickups and Seventies style blocks and binding.

3. Thet thar's yer basic Japanese staple-style clone pickemup.

Add flats, have a nice retro sound. And probably a nice light bass, easy on the shoulder.

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Love that burst finish on the back of the neck! Job well done, Sir!

5. nasonm

nasonm

Jan 28, 2004
    Bangor, ME
    Worth $25 ('cause that's what I whittled the seller to)?

6. Malak the Mad

Umm…I got fifty bucks? ;)

7. nasonm

nasonm

Jan 28, 2004
    Bangor, ME
    ^ So I take it I done good!?!

8. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    for $25, even if it was unplayable is still good, you could use it for some cool wall art. if it still sets up and plays well, that's a great score.

9. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    nice ...

10. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Totally cool. Score!

Yeah, I love the sunburst finish on the back of that neck. I've seen that on Gibson guitars, but it's startling to see it on a Fend-a-clone for some reason.

11. boogie88

boogie88

Mar 28, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    The binding is a classy touch for a cheap Fenda-clone!

12. Once you learn how to re-fret and cut a nut, pretty much a 2X4 glued to a cinder block becomes playable.

I really like cheap old guitars. It is surprising how decent a funky old pile of crap can be.

13. nasonm

nasonm

Jan 28, 2004
    Bangor, ME
    Finally got to plug it in. Gotta say, even if you don't it's much to look at, it's got a good sound!

14. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Reminds me of my Kent Basin Street I picked up for next to nothing. A neck shim did wonders.

15. Malak the Mad

Citizen Joker applause.
    <click me>

Well done, my friend…very well done.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOVE IT! Those old funky 60's basses are the bomb. Wish I had more...I only have one. If you appreciate them for what they are and don't start resenting that they don't sound like a Fodera, they're fantastic.

17. nasonm

nasonm

Jan 28, 2004
    Bangor, ME
    Yup. I spent more time with it this morning plugged in. It has a great sound, almost Mark Sandman-ish. Plus, it's my first short-scale which makes it a blast to play/

18. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Very nice. You have done a good deed, Sir!