1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Research concludes Tender Octaver MKll Sounds best after fuzz and dirt

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jazznrick, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Much to my surprise, my research concluded the Tender Octaver MKll Sounds best after fuzz and dirt (D*A*M Dragonfly, Spaceman Titan ll and D*A*M Ezekiel. Anyone else find this true for them?

Billy C. likes this.
  2. Billy C.

Billy C. Billy C.

I agree with you jazznric, I have too found that running my OC2 & Tenderer Octave ( the original small one ) sound really good following (after) my Carcosa Fuzz pedal. I run the Fuzz 1st in line immediately after my Mooer Baby Tuner then into OC2 then into Mooer Octaver. I have been noticing lately that a lot of guys are placing their fuzz or dirt AFTER the Octavers, I guess whatever works best for you, but I do agree with you on your findings!

jazznrick likes this.
  3. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Nope, my Tender runs into my Hail Satan deluxe.
    That way fuzz is applied to the octave effect, not the other way around.

4. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    interesting, never thought or tried placing dirt before octavers, i will try tonight, thx for inspiration.

Billy C. and jazznrick like this.
  5. got the idea from the EQD Organizer

6. Unless there's a way to trigger the Octave with a clean signal so it can run after fuzz, I prefer my octavers (including the Tender) to feed the fuzz so the tracking is as good as it can be.

7. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    This conversation is going nowhere. What is supposed to happen if I put my octave AFTER the fuzz? Analog octaves track pretty poorly if there is a lot of harmonic content coming in.

I did try putting my Carcosa before OC-2. It sounded different and didn't track as well. Granted, I didn't have the time to try different settings.

8. What do you mean the conversation is going nowhere, @Phe?

Further to my previous post: There are autowahs/filters that take a split off the clean signal for the trigger, so you can put them anywhere in the chain — so why not octavers, too?

fasto likes this.
  9. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    @Feral Feline, sorry, it wasn't aimed at you! I may have worded my post a bit harshly, but at this point no further points on why it is better to put fuzz before octave have been offered.

Blergh, foot, mouth. I'll show myself out.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021