Research Paper...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Call, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well... I have to write a research paper. I can write about anything I want.

I don't know what to write about. My current ideas are something along the lines of...

Christianity in 3rd world countries

I'd really like to do Sadowsky or Aguilar; but there's little available for research material...

Any other suggestions? Or suggestions on places to look for info?
  2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

you could do one on the use of bass in XXcentury music, or you could narrow down the time period even more.
  3. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Why not one on the life of Leo Fender and his imact on pop music in the last half of the XX c.?

Leo started out as a saleman and repair guy for Rickenbacker, back in the day when they were making Hawaiian guitars.

Rock and Roll was even slow to pick up on electric bass. Bill Haley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis and Little Richard all can be seen on film with upright basses in their band. The first published parts for electric bass had "FENDER BASS" written on the parts to identify the instrument and were written in treble clef, the understand I suppose was that guitar players rather than bass players would be the ones who would deal with such an instrument. (when I was a student the bass teacher told us we had to read bass and treble clefs for that reason, and I've seen a few parts in treble).

Can you even imagine fusion rock or any pop songs post 1970 done without electric bass? What about "Bitches Brew"?

Just a quick thought. Good luck.
  4. I had the same assignment when I was a senior in high school. Research paper, any topic you want (that's approved by the teacher), and it has to be at least 8 pages long.
    I wrote 15 pages on Jaco Pastorius.
    Try doing a biography, I find them to be easier then the average research project.
  5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Why dont you try and prove something? Writing a summary of the history of something doesnt prove you learned much of anything and teachers tend to like it more. Maybe you could prove that there is a strong insurgence of solo bass careers in the music industry or something like that.
  6. That's funny how it said "Fender Bass".

Fun fact: standard tuning is EADG because bass guitar was made for guitar players to double on, so they tuned it the same as the top 4 strings on a guitar.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Your signature identifies you as an "Aguilar Freak", so do it on Aguilar. Research papers come out much better when you do it on something you are passionate about.

I'll bet you Dave from Aguilar would answer a few basic questions about his company if you sent him a nice short PM. They have several products you can write about, many people use them that you could talk to. Aguilar also has some products that are no longer being made, so a page on how and why they were discontinued would be a good idea.

How's that for starters? Still stuck? For $300, I'll write the paper. :eek:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Interesting Ideas , let us know how it goes.
  9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    write about breast implants.
  10. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Who wants to proofread? :D
  11. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Right here!

Just write about something you are interested in. That always works best.
  12. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Personally, I think an Aguilar paper would be a little lame. There's very little room for analysis. What would you prove? That Aguilar bass cabs have changed the bass world? Nah, not so much, and you won't be able to find any scholarly references to support that.

If I were you I'd pick one of the following two topics:

1. A paper you've already written. This is my favorite option.

2. Something analytical that can be supported by scholarly journal articles, books or whatevsies. Do it for (or against) Euthanasia, gun control, a specific form of taxation, Affirmative Action, America's involvement in World War II or maybe something involving literature.

Christianity in 3rd world countries could be a good topic, if you have a saucey thesis statement.
  13. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I got my rough draft done. It's a nice little piece about Sadowsky.

...because I'm infatuated.

Edit: Crap! I should have just recycled my paper on physician assisted suicide... crap.