1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reshaping a Kit Headstock into a Tele Headstock - can it be done?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cartoonzx, Apr 30, 2017.

1. cartoonzx

Apr 28, 2017
    I will be building my own p-bass in August, and yes it will be a kit. I'm pretty sure the head stock comes like this - http://www.diyguitars.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/pbk10all.jpg

Could that be reshapable into a 51' head stock?

Even if it comes like this - http://diyguitarkits.net/JB 4 dw.jpg
    Could it still be reshapable?

I think p-basses look awesome with 51' headstocks so I really am hoping to reshape it like one (or to get someone too, but hey, could be a fun project) but I am not sure if I could. (Anyone know if Guitar Center does? :laugh:)

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated!
  2. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Technically to spec, no, I don't think it can be done.
    But to get it in the ball park, absolutely!

See templates below. The tele headstock fits inside the jazz headstock except for just below the d string tuner.
  3. cartoonzx

Apr 28, 2017
    How about that other one?
  4. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Not tracking, what are you asking?
  5. cartoonzx

Apr 28, 2017
    If I can reshape the headstock that looks rectangular, not shaped like a regular p-bass headstock.
  6. scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    Cartoonzx is asking if the Tele headstock shape will fit if the kit comes like the picture below instead of the pre-shaped style. They are unsure whether the kit will come as a paddle or fully pre-shaped.

I'm with you though, even if not an 100% exact copy you could make a recognizable T shape on either.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  7. Hey Cartoonz

I did it, no sweat - but I reshaped a Fender Japan medium scale jazz headstock to an original P. Problem is from what I have observed - the Jazz headstock changed subtly more than a few times over the years. To be sure, I would do a quick tracing template from Illustrator, or an actual size photograph - lay it on the headstock and put an eyeball on it to be sure.

Here is mine:

Dual Headstock.

Here is the actual and mine compared:

I had to reshape and smooth out the back of the headstock a bit, but no big deal.

As they say, certainly close enough for rock and roll!
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  8. cartoonzx

Apr 28, 2017
    Thanks for the reply! That's good enough haha it's barely noticeable. Thanks for your help!
    BassHappy likes this.
  9. Papaschtroumpf

Dec 27, 2017
    Hey I love the look of the stacked template, and I think I'm going to make a "2 layer" headstock for my bass. Will likely paint one but leave the other natural. Something like this photoshopped rendition (going for a relic'd look too)

This will match the style of the headstock of my homemade telecaster:

10. cartoonzx

Apr 28, 2017
    Late reply I know, but I did it with a template. Not Perfect by any means,but I'm content. Thanks for your help!