Reshaping a neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Beav, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I recently acquired an OLP MM3 and compared to my Jazz bass the neck is like a baseball bat. I did some minor shaping on my Jazz to feel more like a Geddy Lee sig. I just did that with some sandpaper, but the OLP is going to take a lot more than some sandpaper. I'm looking to take somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4" off the entire back, and then try to make it a little asysametrical.

My question is what tools do I need to look into. I read another thread about a microplane. Is this all I would need? Also, are there any warning signs that I'm getting too deep besides sanding a hole into the trussrod route?
  2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    if you are even somewhat familiar with woodworking, you should be able to utilize a spokeshave to remove the excess wood ... but you should know the truss rod and any reinforcement rod locations and depth prior to removing wood from the backside of your neck.

All the best,

3. you'll need to get your bass x-rayed...
    it's really not that far fetched.

I have a friend who is a chiropractor that would probably do something like this for me, if I asked.
  4. That's cool and all but you don't have to go through the trouble. There's a device used by car guys to test painted body panels for bondo filler. It's a gauge with a magnet and it is calibrated to read the depth based on the magnets attraction to the steel under the filler material. I think you can get them a but I'm not sure. I see them all the time. Now, I haven't tested this on a neck but I already use loose neodymium magnets to find and gauge the neck location and depth. The real deal is a much more accurate way to do this.