1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

reshaping bass body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by hardcore81, Aug 16, 2012.

1. hardcore81

hardcore81

Aug 16, 2012
    hey everyone
    new to talkbass so if i faux pas too hard let it slide. my friend gave me his old peavey milestone 2 a few months ago and i've been tinkering with it here and there, throwing in new switches and circuits and whatnot. i've been wanting to reshape the body and headstock, especially the top horn, to make it look more like an alembic spoiler. what would be the best way to go about it? sketch out what i want gone, make a rough jigsaw cut and sand it to hell? or would there be a better way for someone with limited tools access to go about it?

also i'm not worried about paint matching or anything, i plan to blackout the entire bass when i'm done.

thanks

2. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    What I would do is draw out what you want gone. Measure twice, cut once.
    Use a jig saw and carefully remove what you want gone leaving about a 16th of an inch extra off you're lines.
    From there, use a mildly coarse rasp and shape it into the body like it was a stock part. Also use a bellied rasp for smoothing out any rounded contours and rounding over the edges.
    Then use sandpaper, start at about 100-150 depending on how smooth things are and do further refining. Then from there, move up to 220, 320, 400, 600. Then you're ready for a finish. Go higher into the grits if you are not using an oil/wax finish.

Be careful when removing material because once its gone, it's gone.

Also i would sand down the whole body to bare wood before any of this so that in the end it can all be finished at once and giving you a seamless product. It's hard to tie a finish back in to an original and could be costly.

3. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York