Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reshaping scratchplate

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zerozeddy, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Were I to buy a replacement scratchplate/pickguard for my Fender "replica"... is it generally the case that the bodies of Fender copies are slightly different shapes and that a stock plate wouldn't fit exactly for copyright reasons?

And, assuming this to be the case, how easy is it to muck about with the plate shape with a file and fretsaw etc? Non-starter?

2. No that's not a good assumption. There isn't any difference coming from a desire to avoid infringing design rights. Differences usually are found in the radius of the roundovers, a slightly different location of screw holes, and the precise location and size of the control routes. The neck contour on the pickguard sometimes needs massaging to fit but that's common when any two parts are made from slightly different patterns.

I've found the best way to make an aftermarket PG fit a clone is to anchor it by 2 widely spaced screws. The specific screw holes you use should locate the PG where it covers all of the control routs, butts up to the neck pocket, and is square to the body. Then, put screws in all of the holes that line up and drill new ones for the ones that don't. If the neck contour needs trimming, take the pattern from the pocket itself as the PG is attached over the top.

3. Excellent, thanks for your input!