Resistance mixer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the low one, Mar 27, 2017.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    OK, I'm looking for a cheap solution to balance the volume between 2 basses. In the past I've used a boost like the MXR micro amp but I no longer have one. So I'm thinking about coming at it from another angle.
    I use 2 passive basses, fretted P and fretless J. The fretless is a bit quieter so needs a boost but rather that boost the fretless can I just lower the P volume?
    I don't want to actually turn the volume down on the P because it's passive and I want he best output from the pickups.
    If I put a resistance mixer such as the DOD 240 in line and lower the volume will that simple lower output without affecting tone?

2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    What about the Boss LS-2, it would do the job at least, and more.

jcerio and Ba55Man1ac like this.
  3. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I reckon you'd be better off with an active mixer in this situation. You've got 2 high impedance sources then dividing them down with more resistance, I'd bet you'd lose level &/or tone even with the passive mixer controls up full.

4. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Thanks guys.
    Yes the LS2 would do all I need so maybe I need to keep an eye out for one used.
    That's useful info on the passive mixer too. If even at full volume it can affect tone then it's a no no.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  5. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    I used to use a LS-2 to achieve this, until I found that pickups on my J were installed way to far from the strings. I adjusted the pickup height on both basses and now they are finely balanced so I have a spare place in my pedalboard.

6. DOD 240 has been discontinued iirc and not sure it is the best choice for balancing passive basses, Boss ls2 is a better choice.