1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Resistance mixer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the low one, Mar 27, 2017.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    OK, I'm looking for a cheap solution to balance the volume between 2 basses. In the past I've used a boost like the MXR micro amp but I no longer have one. So I'm thinking about coming at it from another angle.
    I use 2 passive basses, fretted P and fretless J. The fretless is a bit quieter so needs a boost but rather that boost the fretless can I just lower the P volume?
    I don't want to actually turn the volume down on the P because it's passive and I want he best output from the pickups.
    If I put a resistance mixer such as the DOD 240 in line and lower the volume will that simple lower output without affecting tone?

2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone SUSPENDED Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    What about the Boss LS-2, it would do the job at least, and more.

jcerio and Ba55Man1ac like this.
  3. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I reckon you'd be better off with an active mixer in this situation. You've got 2 high impedance sources then dividing them down with more resistance, I'd bet you'd lose level &/or tone even with the passive mixer controls up full.

4. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Thanks guys.
    Yes the LS2 would do all I need so maybe I need to keep an eye out for one used.
    That's useful info on the passive mixer too. If even at full volume it can affect tone then it's a no no.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  5. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    I used to use a LS-2 to achieve this, until I found that pickups on my J were installed way to far from the strings. I adjusted the pickup height on both basses and now they are finely balanced so I have a spare place in my pedalboard.

6. DOD 240 has been discontinued iirc and not sure it is the best choice for balancing passive basses, Boss ls2 is a better choice.