1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

resistance, resonant peak->pickup output

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jim primate, Dec 20, 2003.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

what do the numbers in a pickups resistance mean in relation to the pickups output? and what does resonant peak mean? i aks b/c i'm looking for some j-bass pickup replacements that will match (or almost match) my p-bass's output. fyi-my p-bass pickup is stock fender.

2. pjbasser

pjbasser

Sep 26, 2003
    Sweden
    Let´s see...

1 The pickup resistance means that the coil of the pickup has a certain resistance.This is only relevant when u choose the potentiometers value...
    But it doesn´t say anything about how loud the pu is...
    To make it simple, the higher dc-resistance of the pickup, the higher value of the pot..

2 The resonant peak means that within this frequency the pickup is most loud...especially relevant if u know at which frequency ur bass is loudest (unamplified) if the bass is "trebly" choose a low resonant freq..and and the opposite...generally speaking that is..:)

Generally it´s wise to choose a pickup with a high resonant peak, since it then won´t have that much effect on the sound,a bass has most of it´s energy in the ...YES! bass area...

Hope this gave u something...

Peder