Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

resistance, resonant peak->pickup output

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jim primate, Dec 20, 2003.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

what do the numbers in a pickups resistance mean in relation to the pickups output? and what does resonant peak mean? i aks b/c i'm looking for some j-bass pickup replacements that will match (or almost match) my p-bass's output. fyi-my p-bass pickup is stock fender.

2. pjbasser

pjbasser

Sep 26, 2003
    Sweden
    Let´s see...

1 The pickup resistance means that the coil of the pickup has a certain resistance.This is only relevant when u choose the potentiometers value...
    But it doesn´t say anything about how loud the pu is...
    To make it simple, the higher dc-resistance of the pickup, the higher value of the pot..

2 The resonant peak means that within this frequency the pickup is most loud...especially relevant if u know at which frequency ur bass is loudest (unamplified) if the bass is "trebly" choose a low resonant freq..and and the opposite...generally speaking that is..:)

Generally it´s wise to choose a pickup with a high resonant peak, since it then won´t have that much effect on the sound,a bass has most of it´s energy in the ...YES! bass area...

Hope this gave u something...

Peder