Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Resistor/cap on tone control?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassic83, Oct 9, 2004.

  1. Bassic83


    Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Recently I saw a webpage somewhere that had a resistor & cap wired in parallel on the tone pot. Coulda been the volume pot, but I'm not sure. I was wondering what the values could be on them. It's supposed to prevent treble loss when you decrease volume. Anyone know?
  2. Trevorus


    Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    it's on the volume pot. when you turn down the volume, you cut some of the treble. that capacitor allows a quicker and easier path for the highs to get to the output, even as you turn down the volume.
    Here's an example: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/potm.htm
    Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see 2 permutations of the same principle.
  3. Bassic83


    Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Grazi, signore! Cool site too. I'll bookmark it for further reference.