Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Resizing a Warwick neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PionFou, May 2, 2005.

1. Hi,

First off I have to say this is the first time I post here. I found out about TB only a few days ago, read through the threads a lot but could not find what I was looking for, so here I go!

I bought a used Warwick Corvette standard (fretless) on ebay a few months back. I have small hands and the neck is uncomfortable to me. It is too thick. I have 2 choices: sell my Corvette or have the neck sized down a bit. I love the sound of it so I'm not that willing about selling it...

My question: has anyone here ever had a Warwick neck resized? How much could you get off? Did it change the tone of the bass? Does it change the overall value of the bass if ever, down the line, I do want to sell it?

I have been playing for 15+ years on a Jazz size neck. Could it be possible to trim the Warwick neck down to a Jazz like thickness?

Any insight that could help me make up my mind would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your replies.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Don't do it. For several reasons:

1. It will kill resale by at least 50%
    2. Will cost in the hundreds
    3. Likely weaken the neck.

Sell it instead, Build yourself a Warmoth using Bubinga for the body and Wenge for the neck. Using MEC pickups and should have a tone comparable to your Corvette.

What year is it, I might be interested if you decide to sell.

3. WordShaman

WordShaman

Apr 26, 2005
    I went from a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 to a Fender American for that reason alone.

4. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

1. The Resale might go up. Many many people love the Warwick sound, and not the neck.
    2. You can do it yourself very cheaply if you have any woodworking skills.
    3. I doubt anything could weaken those necks.

I personally would like to see someone try it, I just don't have the balls to do it myself!

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

You are insane if you think that will raise the value. That's like saying those butchered Rippers on Ebay are more valuable because they were "personalized." :D

6. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

There is a difference between butchering and modifying. I think it is a great idea, if someone with more experience and knowledge of Warwick neck structure can say whether it will weaken it or not.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If there's someone out there looking for a modification that rash done to a particular bass, he or she may be willing to pay more having the mod already done in which he/she was planning to do in the first place.

You'll almost never get out what you put into it, but you won't lose it all in all likelihood.

8. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    It seems like you really like the warwick, so I'd shave it down. I wouldn't shave it down to Jazz neck thin... just slightly larger. You should shave it down to the biggest neck you can feel comfortable playing. This way you won't loose to much tone and maybe when you sell your bass you can lie about getting the neck shaved down ;) Not that I would ever lie when I sell MY basses...

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    A definite possibility, but I imagine the market for a Warwick with a resized neck is similar to an uber-custom with tons of aestetic options that might be anyone's "cup of tea" but your own.

Also that fact that this isn't changing pickups or electronics; this is irreversible. I can't trust a local tech to get the buzz out of the G string on my Les Paul, much less trust him to sand a considerable amount off of my Corvette.

I wouldn't, but if that's his perogative, who am I to say otherwise.

10. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Shave it. You don't really have anything to loose as long as you use some caution. If you love it and don't plan on selling it, why be unhappy with it? Just use some 50 grit sand paper and take your time.

11. You'll want to find out the depth to which the truss rod extends in the neck. That way you can plan to leave a sufficient amount of wood behind it to prevent it from ripping out of the neck. I imagine that it extends about 3/8" below the fretboard, but don't go and shave it based on that. I'd contact Warwick about that.

12. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Wouldn't the weight of a bubinga Fender style body be prohibitive? Thumbs and Corvettes have little tiny bodies and are still heavy. I'd think a bubinga J5 would weigh as much as a vintage SVT!!!!

13. get yourself a replacement neck made.

14. Thanks for the replies.
    One thing that I forgot to say is that I would not do this myself (no tools, no skills)... I'd find a good luthier to do this...

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

It's about the tone man. Damn the weight. :D

Seriously, with a 3 1/2 padded leather strap it will do yourself a favor and make most weight better balanced and more comfortable. I have absolutely no neck dive from my Alumineck Kramer and it might be on of the most neck heavy basses ever built.

16. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
    Seattle
    Why not try putting a Warmoth Jazz neck on the corvette body? If you ever decide to sell your corvette, just put the original neck back on.

17. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    If you have a backup bass, i'd say go for it.

18. How about you just keep playing on the warwick til your hands get used to the thicker neck ?