1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

resoldering battery connection

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Precision345, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    Hi,

I have an old phaser pedal but the battery connection came loose. I'm not sure where it needs to be resoldered to so I was wondering if someone could point out where I need to put it.

Sorry for the potato quality

Attached Files:

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Well, trace the battery leads - is black hot or ground? 9v or 18v? If it's just a single 9V and the black wire goes to the - side of the 9v, then it gets soldered to ground. If it's hot (connected to the + side), well, that's different...

3. reddesert

reddesert

Mar 19, 2015
    I am sorry for the potato quality, too.

Auto-correct, how I love thee. Anyway, it looks like that is a DC adapter jack in the center, but also a stereo 1/4" jack on the left. The stereo jack is usually used so that plugging a cable into it completes a connection between ring and sleeve that completes the power connection. Thus unplugging the cable disconnects the power, which avoids draining the battery. Trace where the connections to the ring and sleeve of that stereo jack go. As bholder said, one of the battery leads should go to ground, and one should go to some positive power connection, but whether it goes to the same spot as the DC adapter or whether it goes through that stereo jack isn't going to be obvious without tracing.

Edit: One white wire from the stereo jack goes directly to the DC adapter jack. Are the red and black wires the ones from the battery?