1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Resolution by Mahavishnu Orchestra....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pat C., May 4, 2010.

1. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    ...is one of the weirdest tunes I've ever played.

I've got a weekly jazz jam going on Tuesdays, and a couple of new guys that joined us picked a few new tunes out of the real book, and Resolution was one of them. The bass basically pedals on an A the whole time. However, the harmony moves in and out of complete dissonance. I had never heard the tune before we played it, so it was a pretty shocking aural assault. If anyone was listening outside my house they probably thought we were on crack, but we actually performed it pretty well for just reading it out of the Real Book.

For some reason I don't think we'll be calling that tune at the next dinner jazz gig. :D

2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I absolutely love that tune and tried in vain to get my band to cover it.

3. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Same here; it's one of my favorite tunes off that album.

I've pulled it out at a few jazz jams in the past and, as long as the musicians knew the tune, the results were usually transcendental.

Things get kinda awkward if they don't know the tune and they try to approach it like a typical Real Book leadsheet...but as long as folks realize it's not a vehicle for blowing over changes but rather a vehicle for Change (in the cosmic/spiritual sense), it usually gets a positively evanescent reading.