1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RESOLVED! - Mackie DL16s vs Logic - Error while trying to synchronize Audio and MIDI

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ThinCrappyTone, May 30, 2019.

1. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I am having an issue that is preventing me from recording. Can you help?

The setup:

Mackie DL16s connected to a
    Macbook Pro (early 2015)
    running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    via USB cable
    Macbook is running Logic ProX 10.4.4
    Song file is set up as 48k/24bit

What’s working:

Logic “sees” the interface and allows the DL16s inputs to be mapped to logic tracks.

Logic shows input levels, so signals are apparently reaching the software.

Clicking “record” starts the DAW rolling, and a graphic representing the recorded wave begins to draw.

Where it falls apart:

After about 30 seconds of recording Logic freezes and this error message pops up:

“Error while trying to synchronize audio and midi. Sample rate 46,980 recognized. Check for conflict between logic prox and external device.”

Troubleshooting steps taken:
    • Read the manual
    • Searched online
    • update Logic to latest version
    • update macOS to latest version
    • reboot all devices in different order
    • try different usb cable?
    Ever run into this before? Ideas?

Thank you in advance.

2. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    What's the condition of your hard drive. I see your MBP is only about 4-5 years old, but how much space is available. Sometimes DAW's get hung up looking for places to put the chunks of audio. I know in the old days my PC using friends had to "de-frag" their drives , especially when they were trying to get video captured. Any chance you might be able to try a fresh USB portable drive, solid state might be best. Just an idea I had when I read your post. FYI-I'm going to be using my DL-16 on (this) early 2011 MBP and a recently acquired MBP as well. I did install a solid state drive in my 2011 last year and it seems much more solid. YMMV

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  3. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks, @filmtex! I tried with an external (non ss, half-full) thunderbolt drive originally, and it had the problem, then tried it with the internal laptop drive, and it also had the problem. Since I could use a new HD anyway, I will try and see if that helps any.

Thanks again.

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    @silky smoove is hip to most things digital recording.
    Maybe he has some advice.

5. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    You're welcome. Good news is, replacing a drive in your MBP isn't nearly as difficult as it appears. I was scared to death the first time I open one up, but it's really not too bad. Correct tools and a magnetic parts tray are really helpful. But you probably knew that. Good luck.

6. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    SOLUTION:

Well... turns out all that was required to fix this issue, apparently, was to turn off “Input Monitoring” for the tracks that were being recorded.

This is accomplished by unselecting the “I” (input monitoring) button just to the right of the “R” (record enable )button on each track.

640D3E46-4F90-461C-BA64-0E7F3A7B8181.

Now it’s running smoothly and working as expected.

Thanks to all who offered help!!!

charlie monroe likes this.
  7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    If only fixing that thin, crappy tone was so easy...

8. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    finally, somebody who gets it! :roflmao: