resonant frequency?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CJY, Sep 14, 2001.

1. CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    I remember reading a Bass Player article about bass guitar necks.It was saying that bassist Gary Willis did not want to have a multi laminate or graphite reinforced neck because ''it raises the instrument's resonant frequency''.From what I know,raising a neck's resonant frequency eliminates dead spots.Anyone knows what resonant frequency is,and how it affects the tone of the bass?And is a multi laminate neck always more stable than a non laminated neck?
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Another name for resonant frequency is "sympathetic vibration".

When you were learning muting, you were learning to control resonant frequency.

3. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Actually, resonant frequency is the natural frequency of vibration of a system (and could be one of many) - in this case, the bass or part of it. Sympathetic vibration is the phenomenon wherein an external excitation (i.e., vibration from elsewhere) coincides with a resonant frequency in the system of interest, and the latter absorbs energy at that frequency and begins to vibrate "sympathetically". Of course, in order for that energy to reach the system, it has to have a medium - and often it is air (acoustic sound waves) or the body of the bass (one string's vibrations transmitted to another via the body).

It makes sense that if you raise the lowest resonant frequency well above the fundamental pitches of the bass's notes, there will be fewer or weaker dead spots caused by resonant frequencies of the neck/body that might absorb energy from the string. However, it is my belief that some body and neck resonances can contribute to the quality of overall tone. It's extremely complex.

Regarding stability, the idea of laminates might have merit if the grains are orthogonal (i.e., 90 degrees to each other) as you find in plywood. But if they aren't, it seems like you wind up with something akin to a bi-metal strip of a thermostat. The two dissimilar materials expand and contract at different rates, causing the strip to warp. That's all I can say about it relative to bass construction. I don't know enough about laminates to have a serious opinion about their stability characteristics.

- Mike
  4. CJY

Apr 30, 2001