Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Resonant notes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by steve chase, May 4, 2001.

1. Not sure if this is in the right section,cos i am not sure where the problem lies. i.e.certain notes will resonate/sustain/boom call it whatever,much more than others on my bass. notably the open D or D played on the A string when unamplified.this may change when amplified according to room acoustics to open E or E anywhere on the fingerboard,and sometimes between B to C#.
    When amplified this creates a feedback situation.Another problem can be my not being able to hear certain notes no matter how i eq the amp/preamp,position the amp or bass or myself in relation to the sound source.
    This only occurs in one or two places that i play but it can be really annoying and affect the way i play.
    Are there any tweaks i can make without spending megabucks,to setup,string choice,eq etc. to reduce the effect? thanks.............steve.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Your profile doesn't specify which K&K pickup you are using, but there are a couple of things you can try. My bass used to have a couple of WOOFY notes which disturbed me in exactly the same way. I leveled the sound out for amplification purposes by dampening the strings between the bridge and the tailpiece with a piece of piano tuning felt wound around the strings, and this helps a lot (although it flattens your unamplified sound as well - I'll probably catch some sh*t from the purists for suggesting it, but it works for me). I use a K&K "Double Bass Max" coupled with a Trinity mic, and I also had the ringing "D" problem when I used the mic. What I ended up doing for that was to angle the mic slightly away from the f-hole and fill the top circular part of the whole with a piece of foam (Actually, the foam was originally a cat toy - a foam golf ball. Works great!). As soon as I did that, the boomy D was gone.

You can also try playing with your EQ, especially if you have a graphic or parametric. The extreme low freq's (under 100hz) are notorious for producing boominess on DB, especially through 12" or larger speakers. If you have a graphic or parametric and can zoom in on these, experiment with cutting them to desired effect. Also, the 400-800hz range is where the "Woofiness" or "Boxiness" comes from, so some selective cutting in this register may help as well. You may already know this, but just in case: when using EQ of just about any kind, cutting a frequency usually produces a cleaner tone than boosting, so you'd probably be better off cutting the problem frequencies and then boosting the overall level than trying to boost the "good" frequencies.

Oh, and on SWR amps, in my opinion that "aural enhancer" feature should be avoided like the plague at higher volumes. It produces strange "bumps" in the frequency response curve that get accentuated at higher volumes.

Hope this helps.

3. Thanks Chris, at least i know its not just me or my rig.
    I do have somewhere a Boss bass eq pedal that i will dig out and try tonight(one of the problem gigs) as i normally only use the swr tone controls.
    My pickup is the K&K bassmax and single channel preamp.
    As for the aural enhancer,i have never really understood it! i do fiddle with it on occasion and think there may be an improvement,other times i don`t use it at all and don`t miss it.
    As for the padding on the strings,a local guy i know that plays real well uses some sort of bandana type thing wrapped around the bridge,presumably to correct the same symptoms.looks neat too.in a rustic sort of way.BTW did you use the felt on all the strings or just the problem ones?
    thanks again.........steve.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I wrap the felt rather tightly around all 4 strings about an inch below the bridge. Makes a world of difference on a loud gig, especially with that mic. Every pickup has its WOOFY zones, you just have to find how to deal with yours.

Oh, one other thing I've noticed with the bass max (I've discussed this with {all hail} Bob G as well) is that there's a certain range of preamp gain that sounds better than the rest. On the internal tone controls, try not to boost anything - use them to cut instead. Also, I'd try not to get too hot of a signal out of the preamp, because when you boost the signal, you're boosting the WOOFS as well. I keep my preamp volume at 12 o'clock or below and let the amp do the work. Good luck.

5. Well i did try the eq pedal but didn`t get too much time to mess with it,definitely an improvement although i still get this feeling that i am not totally in control of what is going on.I will try the felt trick indoors over the weekend when i have more time.
    I must admit to never venturing inside the preamp other than changing the battery,i suppose i should really ask(all hail)Bob for some more detail on the internal workings and settings.........er Bob....................................