1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Resonant Peak? DC Resistance? Uh What?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jtc_hunter, Jul 23, 2007.

1. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    What exactly do these terms mean in relation to pickups? I an trying to decide on some Basslines P bass pups and --I use a pick, I get lots of low end, play classic Rock, and am thinking the SPB-2 would be the best bet because of the more midrange that it gets over the SPB-1 or-3
    The SPB-2 has a 22.4k DC Resistance and the SPB-1 is 11.6k, and the SPB-3 is 12.5k. Does that mean the SPB-2 has the most output?
    The SPB-2 has a resonant peak of 7.14kz, the SPB-1 has 11.6kz, and the SPB-3 has a 10.2 resonant peak. Does that mean that the SPB-2 has the "deepest" sound? Which would be the best for a "pick" player who plays classic rock?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

it just so happens Duncan has a glossary on their site - think it's menitoned in FAQ as well. They also have a type of cross reference tone chart to figure out the questions you're asking.

Personally I skip the jargon and just read reveiws for players experience. Fact is, you're going to be taking a stab no matter what you do but most of us want some kind of assurance. There really isn't any but often you can narrow your search by doing some footwork - but no more narrow than you've already got it.

Good luck with your stab.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
  4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    He didn't mention it but it's noteworthy, if my memory serves correctly (which it does on rare occassion), A9X is an electrical engineer and probably more likely to obtain something of use from the jargon. My brain doesn't recieve the hard sciences well so I'm a trial and error guy by default. He has a choice.

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    luknfur, if you or the OP want me to attempt to describe the technicalities again, I will, but I thought Werner did a pretty good job of keeping it understandable. For most people with no engineering background it's not always eay to understand conceptually (because of unfamiliarity, not intelligence).

I find written descriptions of 'tone' very elusive and nearly impossible to relate to the tech specs always because of different instruments, different loading etc hence I didn't comment on what the perceived tone of the P pups mentioned by the OP might be, especially as I'm not personally familiar with them in use. Taking a broad summary of all the online reviews would likely be more help in selecting for tone, rather than a spec, for most players.

Best is to do what you did with the Dimento's series; buy, try, sell what you like least.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Not on my account. You'd just be spit'n into the wind. It'd be nice to have a choice but one thing that never occurred to me is you may have been thinking of what you thought best for the inquirer not what you're own personal practice is.