1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Resonator and moog LPF owners

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JehuJava, Oct 30, 2013.

1. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    So. Quick question on the two. I have both after just receiving a resonator. Is the resonator a much more "tame" LPF? The moog seems waaaay more fat, dynamic, and noticeable. The resonators resonance knob seems to be way different than the moog. Plus the res seems a bit fuzzy (80's sounding ) than the moog.

Maybe because I'm using a moog mp201 with 5v cv rather than 9v that the resonator takes. Plus the pedal came with the LED in the on position no matter the button position. It never goes off so I can't tell if the pedal is on or off (the Prometheus dlx does this too and I hate it).

Any thoughts? Anyone have the manual in odd for the resonator?

2. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    I have had both and the Resonator is amazing, especially when given the right amount of CV voltage. If you still have your cp-251 you can attenuate the CV higher and scale if for the Resonator. But you may have another issue too.

3. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Damn Dustin. I knew I should have just PM'd you directly. I'm following on your gear coat tails. How different does your resonator sound compared to the moog? My resonance does not really chirp/quack like the moog until it's almost in self oscillation. Then it's more of a fuzzy kinda quack like there's some FM modulation. Sounds 80's ish. Funny...I had the MS-2000R back in the day and never knew how to use the filters so I can't even compare to my previous experience. The freq knob works like a mad man though.

I bought this thinking it might replace the moog. I kinda hate the drive section that's always on.

4. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I do still have the 251. Using the attenuator (2 lines to right) is the only way I can keep both units resonance from going crazy with only a slight turn of the res knob. Directly from the mp201 and there's raging high pitched screaming coming from both.

5. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Seems like a good portion of the issue is the 5v cv voltage from the moog mp201. Even using the attenuators in series I could not get the same sweep on the freq as I could by using the knob. What do you guys use to get full sweep?

6. DeltaPhoenix

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Also, dig into the MP-201 manual there is a way to change the cv to 0-10v on the last firm wear then you can take it down 0-9V with the CP-251.
    Of course, the MS-20 is known to be a dirty filter but I wouldn't say it sounded like it was FMed. It isn't as chirpy/quacky as the Moog but it can be a surgical tool, getting a little resonance on your lows, maybe cutting a tab of subs, then make it almost scream on the highs. Lovely!
    Those two kind of compliment each other nicely.

7. DeltaPhoenix

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    There is also the ghetto fix, you can solder a 9V battery to a Moog ep-2. There are schematics on the internet somewhere, or ask DannyW about it.

8. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Word...cool.

9. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Did a real quick 9v and volume pedal mod to get the resonator to sweep. Much better. Though the boss volume pedal seems to operate in a small window of the pedal travel. Wrong pot resistance? I dunno. Still not near as wet as the moog. The moog is soaking wet but maybe I just prefer that sound.

Is Paul Perry still doing repair work? I'd like get the LED fixed and get a clean bill of health.

Dustin, if I switch the MP201 to 0-10v that'll be for all channels yes? Like going from unipolar to bipolar?

10. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Apr 22, 2009
    Derby, UK
    Very interested in the Resonator. A pedal I've heard serious mixed feedback on.

As for the MP-201, it can't do 0-10v, it can do either 0-5v or -5 to +5v. While that is a 10v scale, not so many units can handle negative voltage... So be careful with that and the Resonator.

11. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Wow, Shep!! Great blog btw.

I was just reading the MP201 addendum for version 2.0 and you're right about the two modes. Bummer.

I have to say, the HPF side sounds sick yet the LPF side doesn't even touch the moog LPF. Not sure if mine has an issue, but I'm still working out the 9v cv bugs. Sometimes it sounds on par with the moog, but when I feed it lots of harmonic content to sweep the moog goes way beyond.

I just don't understand the 9v cv thing. This just means I need all dedicated expression pedals for it. The MP201 was supposed to be my missing link that connects everything. Maybe missing something ...

12. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Apr 22, 2009
    Derby, UK
    Bear in mind that CV is a less common technology in effects pedals and typically seen in traditional synths. Moog always employed a 0-5v system (or -5 to +5 on some gear, which I wouldn't be surprised to find out that was an accident!) so the MP-201 was designed with that in mind - Moogs gear, specifically the foogers and synths.
    Other companies use a 0-10v scale or more. It's not rare to find CV scales over 5v, it's just not used by Moog.

Other CV gear will go beyond the 5v range, but you won't get anything with the pedal functionality of the MP-201. You just have to accept it was designed to work with Moog gear. Anything else it works with is a bonus!

FWIW, I've found that while other LPF based gear can do the swells great with an MP-201, as soon as you use the LFO section of the MP201 for some wobble action, everything else falls on its arse. I don't know if it's how the MP sends that CV signal or what but even the custom Xerograph I had made sounded weak with the LFO section (faster the LFO, the lower the amount, as if it was fading out). Basically, I always go back to the Moog.

I've tasked Tom at COG effects (I have a few of his custom pedals already - real genius) with the mission of replacing my Moog LPF in 2014 with a CV controlled one of his own that plays with the MP-201. He's up for the challenge so I'll keep you posted.

13. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I'd definitely be interested to hear about that pedal for certain.