Resonator bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LCbadcopy, Apr 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. LCbadcopy

LCbadcopy

Apr 26, 2019
    To whom it may concern
    I need some information how to set up my regal dobro resonator bass. I have never done it before on a accoustic bass so i need some tips.
    Are there any correct measurements about the string action and ect. Im haveing some buzzes after the 10th 11th frets. Also there is a small thin piece of wood inside the body, and i cant shake it out so i gues i have to remove the resonator to do it. And i dont know the real purpuse of it.
    The bass is not that bad, but its not so good either, jet. I hope someone can help me to make it better.
    Sorry for my bad english

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Are there any correct measurements about the string action and etc.
    No, not really adjust as necessary to be rid of buzzing, having as much comfort, and clarity as you can manage.

I'm having some buzzes after the 10th 11th frets.
    'Some buzzes' does that mean the G and D strings are buzzing there, or is everything buzzing on up the neck? Your information isn't exact enough to offer advice.

Also there is a small thin piece of wood inside the body, and i cant shake it out so I guess I have to remove the resonator to do it. And I don't know the real purpose of it.
    A couple possibilities here, a three year old might have dumped a stick down there and then wandered away, or, part of the bracing for the soundboard might have come loose. You won't know until you take it apart but, if it looks like anything other than a twig you should consult a guitar technician about it.

The bass is not that bad, but its not so good either, yet. I hope someone can help me to make it better.
    I don't know how much I've helped, but to paraphrase Paul;
    Hey Jude, don't take it bad
    Take a sad bass and make it better
    Remember to let it into your heart
    Then you can start to make it better

instrumentalist likes this.
  3. These resonator basses arouse my curiosity, so I'm subscribing.

4. As for the buzz after the 10th or 11th fret, it may be that the 12th or 13th fret are just a little too high, making strings buzz. Uneven fretwork is quite common on low to medium priced instruments. Maybe you can see or feel this.
    Sometimes a simple filing job can work wonders for frets, but please don't do anything hasty or you could ruin your instrument.