1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Resonator Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slowgypsy, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    There's been some threads about this in the past... but it's been a while... I'm wondering is there's new stuff out there...

Essentially looking for a 4-string 34" scale (ish) resonator bass guitar. It'll be used in a band situation... plugged in.

I've checked out the Regal instruments on Ebay, but they're short scale... and I'm looking for something higher quality.

Anyone have leads... thoughts... suggestions....:bassist:

2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Yeah. My thoughts are don't do it! I own a bunch of resonator guitars and love the vibe, but every resonator bass I've heard just sounds bad. I think people get them just for the "look" and hype value.

3. Everyone I know how tried the Goldtone bass dobro loved it. I own the guitar version and it already sound incredibly bassy!

4. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Well... I'm not sure what "bad" sounds like :confused:

A project I'm currently involved with is evolving, and I'm searching for a new/different sound and a new/different vehicle to deliver that sound. Not looking for hype value... just another step in this projects evolution.

5. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Okay... that's a start... I was looking at the Goldtone. Anything else you could add? I'm wondering about the build quality, materials, weight, etc. As these things go, that's one instrument I'd have to buy sight unseen so I'd want to improve my chances of success. :bassist:

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My gig partner often plays several resonator guitars in different tunings and configurations during a gig. We thought a resonator bass may fit in well for those situations but when I tried a few resonator basses several years ago I thought they sounded sort of like a metal screen door slamming. Personally, I didn't like it and it simply didn't work for us. They were also quite heavy but it didn't really matter since we play seated.

7. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
  8. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Just curious... which makes/models did you try? Any brands you tried I should look into or stay away from?

9. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
  10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Sorry, but it was several years a ago and all I remember about the brands was that one was a Regal.

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    This is exactly what I was talking about. I've got resonator guitars in buscuit, spider and tri-cone types and each has a certain sound that really can be great. But every resonator bass I've heard in a band setting just never gave that great "different" sound and somehow was not working.

So what I'm saying is don't judge resonator basses based on how resonator guitars sound even for the low notes. (note I play my resonator guitars through my 75 watt laney bass combo to bring out that bass)

Of course I've not heard every bass maker out there so who knows, there may be that one bass that is just what you are looking for.

12. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Interesting side note, John Dopyera of which the term 'Dobro' was derived worked with none other than Adolph Rickenbacker way back when. The whole history of guitar making in the 20th century reads like a soap opera of inbred hillbillies. ;)

13. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Totally get it. I'm not expecting this to "sound just like...." sort of thing. Currently in an originals project and simply looking for another sound for some of the tunes... not looking for it to be my main player.

As these things go, if I decide to try one, I'm looking to give it a fair try. Which means not getting something cheap that wouldn't sound good under any circumstance... but getting something of reasonable quality... so I could say I gave it a fair shot.

Every so often I simply try something new... see where it goes... part of my on-going education. That's sort of what this search is all about.

14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yes, the Dopyera Brothers

15. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    If I had a sig, that'd be it.