1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Resonator basses

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mheintz, Aug 23, 2007.

1. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    I have a few theoretical questions about resonator basses that I was hoping that some of you talented luthiers might be able to answer. Most resonator basses use the same cones as their guitar cousins (~10.5") and have bodies that are only slightly bigger. Although resonator basses are typically louder than other ABG, from what I've found, the bass response isn't typically as good.

Would a larger cone produce a better/louder bass response?

For the cones, is there some metal or material other than aluminum that would improve bass response? I know that some resonator guitars use a carbon fiber biscuit, but I haven't seen cones other than aluminum.

Does increasing the body (thereby increasing air volume) actually produce a better bass response? An ABG like a Tacoma has better bass response than some of the smaller bodied ABGs, but is that because it has a larger top for vibration or because of the larger body or some combination of both? In other words, how sensitive is bass response to air volume?

Thank you in advance for your input.