1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Resources for song Chord charts? Or better yet, how to start transcribing?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Poor Tom, Sep 6, 2008.

1. So I want to start transcribing bass lines as part of my practice regiment. The problem is: where to start?

Do I just pick a song I like and keep at it until I get it right?
    How do I know it is right if I don't have the best ear?
    Should I start with simple sounding songs or just go for it with whatever?

I want to do this the way that will benefit and help my abilities as a musician grow the most possible. Any advice would be great, even if it is to tell me what I probably already know: "STOP PROCRASTINATING, GET YOUR IPOD, BASS, AND JUST DO IT!"

thanks guys!:bassist::bassist:

2. nickonbass

nickonbass

Jun 8, 2008
    Pick something you like that sounds simple, you can hear the bass well on it and go slowly.

When you've got through the whole piece/parts you want to transcribe look up the tabs on the net and look at what other people have written for the part to compare notes. Most of them will be wrong - but don't worry about that - it's better to get it sounding right to YOU in my opinion. That way although you might not transcribe something 100% accurately you will put your own stamp on it and it'll help you with your own voice as a player.

And have patience - it can be a slow and frustrating process.

I'm sure a lot of other people will give you good advice on here.

3. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Remember transcribing is more than just learning to play the bass part you have to analyze what the person was doing. That is where you start learning the sound of things you like and don't like so you can use those sounds in creating your own bass parts.

Also transcribe from your singing is important. Listen the the part you want to transcribe till you can sing the riff or section your working on. Then transcribe what you are singing. That help build the ear/fingerboard combo so you can play what you hear or think of.