1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Resources or apps for bass clef versions of sax solos?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by phillipkregg, Feb 5, 2018.

1. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I've rediscovered reading music after finding a bass clef version of Donna Lee. It's been a goal to learn that song for a while but it's so fast I've had a hard time getting all the notes right from just listening and I've wanted to get back into actually reading music so killed two birds with one stone and just found the sheet music in bass clef.

It's going great so far, but now I'm wondering if there is a large resource of sax music (other instruments would be cool too), like maybe Michael Brecker or Chris Potter solos that are available in bass clef?

Or is there an app out there that can take a PDF of sheet music and convert that to a bass clef transcription? Or even take an audio file and transcribe?

2. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I guess you already have the bass clef version of the Charlie Parker omnibook? Comes in treble, bass,Bb, Eb versions.

Suggestion: learn to read treble clef if you don't already. It will open up a whole world of music, inc. guitar and violin music. Then shift your hand position a whole step down for Bb, 1&1/2 steps up for Eb.

I spent a fair amount of time on sax solos. Four fingered technique and six string recommended.

Bach highly recommended as well.

3. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Btw, playing Bach seriously improved my bass playing by showing me how to optimize fingering patterns across the neck. I spent over a month on just one violin piece but it was worth it.

BassChuck and Mushroo like this.
  4. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Somebody already mentioned the Charlie Parker Omnibook there is also a Miles Davis Omnibook and a John Coltrane Omnibook.

C/S,
    Rev J

5. This cat has just about any sax solo you could want. He will transpose to any key as well so I'd assume bass clef would not be an issue. Home - Saxsolos

phillipkregg likes this.
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Learn to read in treble clef. You'll thank yourself in the future.

IamGroot likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021