1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Respect and support for the solidiers... :-)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kesslari, May 3, 2010.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    A friend of mine was flying a few weeks back - he makes a good living and was flying first class. As the plane boarded, he heard a group of soldiers who were boarding talking about having to wait until they landed to get a meal, because they didn't have cash to buy something on the plane.

My friend contacted the stewardess, and exchanged his first class seat with one of the soldiers (first class gets a free meal). So that soldier took a trip in first class.
    But the really cool thing is that every one of the other first class passengers saw this and also traded their seats - the entire first class cabin filled with soldiers.

Nice show of support for the guys who are risking their lives.

2. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    This is the kind of story I need to hear. It probably happens all the time and we only focus rage on some bs.

3. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    This is a great story, my fiancés brother is on his 2nd tour in afganistan. That being said, after living in a town where new soldiers are stationed I learned a few things that I believe some may overlook.

Just b/c you see a person in military clothing it does not mean they are automatically honorable, respectful, or smart. Many young soldiers I came to know were merely dumb, testosterone laden fools. It never amazed me to hear them say that they couldn't wait to get a kill or see some "real" action. Too many of them were uneducated and the army was really their only option.

That being said I do not beleive they don't deserve out respect for doing what they do.

4. that's a great little story... but theres several things about it that don't seem quite right... i dunno. i hate to be skeptical over something so heart warming but i call bs :bag:

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    You're welcome to call whatever you like.
    The guy in question is a VP in the government sector at the multi-national corp where I work, and his honesty is impeccable.

But... you're welcome to your own little opinion.

6. hey if you trust him..

it is a great story though.

7. Great story... So nice to hear.

8. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    This. I've met some pretty exceptional folks serving in the military, and a few that those exceptional folks ought to be using for target practice.

True story: I was at a party last year, and a couple of Marines who'd recently got back from a tour showed up. I wound up next to them in the bathroom line and we chatted for a bit, and then one of them proudly came out with this line: "Hey man, you ever killed anybody? CAUSE WE HAVE!!!"

I really didn't know what to say to that. Sickening.

9. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Ive seen some guys go in to the service that shouldn't have and all it did was make them worse. IME a lot of guys go in with that kind of attitude and it gets quickly rearranged. But theres some people I just don't know about.

10. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    A respectful gesture indeed.

11. If you want to see a graceful gesture, it would have been nice to see the airline providing meals for the troops, regardless of what class they are in.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I've done that a few times as well.

-Mike

13. I have zero reason not to believe this story to be true and applaud the actions this person took. However, my wife's company sends her all over the place and if I want to go I go coach. When we ask if we can trade for a while the crap hits the fan with the cabin staff.

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    seriously. that's really cool.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this kind of thing happens all the time with folks who travel a lot like businessmen, which doesn't diminish from how cool it is, especially considering how awesome first class is.

after my wife and i got married at christmas 2001, we were the beneficiaries of just such a move.

we were sitting in the terminal the day after christmas (we got married on christmas eve) talking about our situation - we had driven up to pennsylvania but had to fly home because we had had an accident and the car was getting fixed. because of the last minute thing with the tickets, we weren't sitting together and were trying to get seats together, when some folks in first class annonymously gave up their seats for us. some of the other folks in first class bought us champagne :).

of course, i'm probably b'sing too, for the feelgood quotient :eyebrow: .

16. Actually that has happened to me before, and it was greatly appreciated. I actually sent a letter to the person. Even the simple thank you's and hand shakes I dont take for granted.

We all are human, but overall, charge the character to the individual, not the group.

17. Damn! All you folks are fluttering about the cabin, switching seats, and eating good food. What gives?! I merely ask if I might trade seats for 9 seconds with my wife so my
    6'5" self can open up like a can O' biscuits. When I do try to make the switch it's nothing but "SIR!, SIR!!!, SIR!!! Return to your seat immediatly. You cannot change!"

18. playinpearls

playinpearls

Apr 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    I'd do this in a heartbeat...( nd will when i finally get the cash to fly business class, lol)

good stuff to hear...

19. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    My, how times have changed. When I was in the military (1970-1974), you received little, if any, respect. After returning from Vietnam, I was walking thru the parking lot at San Diego Int'l airport and was accosted by a middle aged couple who shouted every cuss word in the book at me, and the lady ended up spitting on me. I'm sure every vet who served in the 60's and early 70's could tell you a similar story.

20. thanks for sharing, pretty cool!