1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Respect for Jack Casady, not crazy about Hot Tuna

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by chuck norriss, May 25, 2011.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
  2. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Heh-heh. We need a thread on "Great Bassists In Crappy Situations"

...not!

3. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
  4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I knew someone who actually thought McCartney was good only with Wings. :rollno:

5. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I think the new Tuna CD has Grammy written all over again

6. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    He was good with the Beatles, but IMO his playing improved in terms of creativity with Wings. Then again, I'm as big a Wings fan as I am of the Beatles' Paul compositions.

7. tbirddad

tbirddad

Feb 22, 2006
    Kinda agree - as the quality of composition decreased - the quality of creativity of the bass lines increased.

"Silly Love Song" anyone? Great bass line. Not so great song.

8. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Paul's composition quality rose.

It's better than "Please Please Me", "Love Me Do", "I Saw Her Standing There" and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" combined. And you're right, it still isn't a great song.

But I'm talking about stuff like Goodnight Tonight, Another Day, So Bad (Don't know if that's considered Wings), Arrow Through Me, With A Little Luck, Band On The Run and Listen To What The Man Said. Can't list 'em all, but you get the picture, I hope.

9. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Eh, you don't have to like anybody. Not even Jaco.

But I want to thank you for posting this for 2 reasons:
    1. You reminded me of a great Hot Tuna show I saw at Cole Field House at Univ. of MD back in the 70s. Coincidentally, I was on the campus today for the first time since that show!
    2. I watched the Youtube clip, then looked at a few other HT clips. Saw one of Jorma & Jack being interviewed about their experience at Woodstock, and a bunch of other interesting stuff.

10. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    +1 for Jack but I love Hot Tuna!

11. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011