Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

respect of another bass player

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by *ToNeS*, May 11, 2001.

1. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    a drummer friend of mine was loitering upstairs in the music school after school was over, waiting for the bassist for his band to show up so they could do some recording. i happened to be there picking up some sheet music for the mid-term concert next week, and he started playing a beat. i picked up the GT that was there and we jammed. in the middle of our insane funk-drum-n-bass instrumental, his bassist friend walked in and stood aghast, watching my thumb and fingers funk out 32nd note passages ... i swear, this guy's mouth dropped. as we finished up with a resounding clash, the only thing this guy could say was (and i quote) ...

"HOLY F*CK!!"

:D man, it's one thing to receive praise from other non-bass playing musicians, but from *a* bass player, it was kinda something. certainly a confidence booster. has anyone else had similar experiences ?

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Yeah, I've had a few experiences like that, but the ones I value the most are when I get that kind of compliment while just holding a good groove and doing my job as a bass player. Anybody can impress with pyrotechnics, IMO (not to detract from those who like that sort of thing), but I think it's much more difficult to impress another player with good old meat-n-potatoes bass playing.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    'Nuther words....a continuously full dance floor is a much better compliment to me personally.

4. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I had my first gig as a bass player last friday night and it was awesome to get that buzz from playing live again.

the guys who sells me all my bass gear showed up which made me a bit nervous. He is awesome!! He called me the next day to tell me that he was jealous. Huh? of what I asked. he said my "meter" was so damn solid, especially for only playing for one year. all those years of drumming surely paid off i guess. It did make me feel pretty good though.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I left my last full-time band due to an accident. The guy that replaced me was REALLY good, and we got along pretty well. One night, I slipped up (with his nod of approval) to surprise my old bandmates on an original song. When I got done, Danny told me he preferred my part to the one he was doing, and planned on playing my part in the future.

6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I think it´s cool when non-musicians say I´m good (although I know they don´t know anything about bass playing..)but I love it when musicians say I´m good..

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    When your orch. teacher thats played in several bands with your grandma & is currently a 1st chair upright bassist in the town orchestra tells you that you know more than he does about the bass & techniques thats when i thought i was gonna hit my head on the ceiling.

8. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i whole-heartedly agree, mcchildree, but in this case i was playing *cough* "lead" bass, so holding a groove wasn't really something to be done .. just a bass and drums. stop trying to make me feel good about myself :p

9. ABout 10 years ago, one of the better guys here in town and someone I respect greatly, said I was his favorite blues bassist in town. That made my summer! And this is a guy who absoultely swings a great blues groove himself. It is a great feeling.

Hearing that from someone who actually knows the instrument is what makes it worthwhile. And it made me want to play all that much more. Thanks Ron.

10. BOXHEAD

BOXHEAD

Oct 3, 2000
    I believe that the best compliment is when the crowd goes off for a bass solo. I have had a few compliments like that but there have been more situations where I am the one giving the compliment because there is always someone better, it is also very humbeling to compliment someone better than you and I believe it takes balls to do it

11. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    When someone mistook me for a proffesional bassist :p

/lovebown

12. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    God I love those.. after a show.. the bassist from the band before/after you come up to you and shake your hand and says "Good bass playing!!!" I do that every bassist, even if they are good or not. I just like to give them nice words and let them be happy. Don't ever go up to another bassist and say "you suck".. thats not cool at all, even though they not be great. You shouldn't ever say that. I'm sure you wouldn't want someone like Victor Wooten just coming up to you and say "You suck".. I mean Victor Wooten isn't that type of guy more than liekly anyways he rocks ^_^

DM

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've always thought the highest compliment is my phone ringing to ask me back for a gig. And when someone I respect recommends me, that's very high praise, too.

14. u guys wouldnt believe how many times ive been mistaken for flea trapped in a 14 year olds body

15. i get told i'm the best bass player around by my musical friends which is cool, and a big bass player round here says i've got a big future, which is also cool, i dont think i'm that good, but hey, its nice to hear that i am, it makes me feel good about my playing!

16. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    I've heard this saying a few times... what does "meat-n-potatoes bass playing" mean?

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah tones, I bet those slapped 32nd notes are real funky.

Clammit, yeah, I mistaked you for Flea, too. I bet you're the second coming of Jaco. Really.

I don't play for compliments. But when I get them, I usually keep them to myself. To me, getting asked to play with people I respect or getting valuable tips from good players are exponentially more useful than someone who says "Wow, blah blah blah!". Just my opinion, though.

18. Unless youre a hard out virtuoso I find that very hard to believe. Also because your user name makes you seem like a huge Blink 182 fan.BUT WHO KNOWS?

Maybe you are that good!

19. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Angus, every single time i've seen a post by you on here it's had at least one comment attempting to put someone down. i'm starting to think you've got some kind of complex or something... get over yourself you arrogant (expletive deleted by Moderator). that "32nd" note thing was an embellishment on my part - i mean, think about it. if i slapped that fast it'd just sound like whole bunch of dead notes with not much in-between. there's always some guy like you who thinks he knows it all and reckons he's Jaco's gift to the bassing world, eh ?
    and you didn't need to slam clammit for voicing what others have said about him - it's not a crime to receive compliments, even if they are kind of ridiculous. who knows, maybe the kid *can* funk out real well .. it's not that tricky when you know how.

Edit(BW): LANGUAGE!:mad:

20. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Tones

You may want to delete or edit that last post before a moderator sees it. Angus is less than subtle sometimes (trust me I know) but you might want to read his last paragraph in isolation as it is good advice. It might not be pleasant advice. Do some thinking. Its your choice become mature or become tiring.

Regards CS who does want to help (at this point).