1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Responded to a Craigslist ad...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by M0ses, Sep 26, 2010.

1. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Here's the ad.

I'm not in a band at the moment since I just moved, and this sounds like my cup of tea. So I shoot off an email telling him about myself.

His reply indicates that I'd have to rehearse twice a week. I'm not entirely sure about that, with my busy college schedule.
    And he also said "we've been going through bassists like crazy"

:bag: What does that mean?

OTOH he said based on the influences I listed, I sounded like a perfect fit. Which makes me really excited.

What do you guys think?

2. ExurKun

ExurKun

Sep 29, 2009
    Rochester
    maybe theyre going through bassist like crazy because it sounds like they want someone really good with an impeccable ear?
    my 2 cents

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    First figure out if it can fit your schedule. If it truly can't, you're jerking yourself and them around.

If it can, then go try them out. They may be going through bassists because they're demanding. Or it could be because they're jerks. Best way to find out is to try it if it can work for you.

4. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    or ... since they don't REALLY know what they want (despite the info in the ad), they can never be satisfied?

oh, sorry, i was thinking about one of my old bosses.

5. Do you think Nickleback is considered music?

6. If you can meet their schedule give it a try. The last bassists was with them for a year. Maybe they had a run of flaky musicians to start with or maybe they aren't very good at picking the right candidate for the job - or maybe they're a bunch of jerks. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

7. ethnotime

ethnotime

Sep 24, 2006
    Northampton, MA
    If it sounds good musically then it's nothing to go in and audition to see what the band is like.
    As for rehearsing twice a week, it sounds like a lot but it also sounds like they're pretty serious about what they do and that's not a bad thing. Again, if the music is killin then investing some time into it could prove exhausting in the short run but ultimately satisfying in the long run.
    Good luck.

8. Third Basser

Third Basser

Jul 6, 2010
    I always ask people flat out, "so what happened to the last few bass players you had?" and see what they say. if they start stammering or give vague responses where you feel they're leaving out missing pieces of information = red flag. if they give reasonable detailed accounts of what actually happened = good sign.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Rehearsal +gigs+school+study=?????

IMO, I'd concentrate on school for the first year and see how it goes, depends on your major.

10. KillerQuebec

KillerQuebec Guest

Jun 27, 2010
    They're just looking for a new buddy. If you want to be their buddy and hang out with them twice a week, then go for it.

These guys aren't going anywhere and it may be fun to play a gig now and then with them. But they won't be working every weekend. If they play out once a month it will be a miracle.

Hopefully they have some good beer or pot. If they don't I'd skip it.

I always check out these kind of bands when I'm new in town and need a new connection.

Sounds like fun, but no future.

Cheers!!

11. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    If you are new to town, and looking to play, you have to get out and meet people who play. Sure, it could be a total waste of time, but that's life.

Bring your phone and get the contact info of any promising players you meet. If it really sucks, make your phone ring and say, " Crap, I gotta go, the cat's having kittens!" Or something.

The whole deal should only take a couple hours or less of your time. If you get lucky and its a cool deal, you'll make it work.

12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    It sounds like someone I'd at least want to contact, feel out on the phone. Probably jam with based on the influences.

I'd want someone who practices twice a week. More than that, they're probably not being efficient, less than that they're probably not focused enough.

My $.02, YMMV.

13. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    Hey, after you talk to them, let us know.

That listing has been popping up for a while. I don't know what it is about Milwaukee, but BP Wanted listings are pretty common.

14. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    From the ad, I would say the situation is pretty much guys who don't know what they are doing, but like to sound like they do. I wouldn't bite, but what the heck, it would be an adventure for an afternoon.

15. RTL

RTL Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Kittens are so effing cute.

Just thought I'd share.

16. dmclane

dmclane

Jul 13, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I would ask for some type of recording you could listen before you lug all of your gear over there. Sounds like they've been together for a while so I'm guessing that they should have at least a crappy rehearsal recording they could email off to you. If they don't have anything done yet I'd be very skeptical of their commitment. Sounds like you don't have the time to waste on jammin out on improvisational riffs two times a week.

17. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    I'd disagree. I've played in a fairly hard working band my entire way through university, studying Chemistry. Currently doing my Masters and still playing, touring and recording.

No one goes through university spending their every waking minute just working on their study. If he's happy to dedicate some of that free time to music, then it won't affect his study. First year in particular, in any course, you've got quite a lot of free time and if your time management is worth a damn, nothing to stop him having it all.

18. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    The Red Flags;

If you think Nickleback is considered music don't respond.
    (I don't know who Knicklebag is, but what if you like them?)

Must be able to freestyle as most of our songs come from improvisation.
    (might mean were just a jam band with no structure or focus)

Also must be able to play something from just hearing it.
    (maybe thats not the way you learn)

19. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Give it a try.

20. For an improv based original music group two rehearsals a week sound like too much to me, and the thing about "must know the importance of the bass with the drummer" sounds like they want you to hold down the fort while they wank off endlessly.

Still, I'd try it out, and see if it fits. If it does have promise, just come back at them that since you're the bassist, and this is a band, you feel that you should determine the exact level "bass with drums" as a creative statement, and that you can't rehearse twice a week- or tell them the times that would make twice a week work for you. If it is promising and they aren't jerks they will bend and accept to keep a good bass player on-board. If they don't, tell them sayonara and good luck. As stated above, get the contact info of any of the players that you particularly like.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021