1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rest in Peace: My Cat, Mr. Red, my best friend.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blazer, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Well today me and my mom took Mr. Red to the Vet since in the last two months it went downhill pretty quickly with him, he didn't eat anymore, became really skinny, had difficulty just walking around and basically wasn't himself anymore.
    [​IMG]
    The doctor said that it was kidney failure and that there was nothing he could do other than to put him asleep since letting him die the natural way would be too painful for him
    [​IMG]
    Mom then told me since I was his owner that it was up to me and as I stood there with him in my arms at the vet's office I had to decide. I gave him a hug and told them that I needed a moment alone.

I stood there outside the office with a heavy heart before making my decision. I walked inside and told the doctor "Go ahead, I don't want him to suffer anymore." Mom asked me if I wanted to say goodbye, to hold him one last time but I couldn't, I just couldn't. I told her that I'd be walking home and said with my voice breaking "Tot ziens gekke kat, ik zal je zo erg missen."
    [​IMG]

I'm sitting here in that same chair on the pictures, there's a little pluck of his hair still there and the realization that he's no longer there is just so painful.

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Really sorry to hear it. I lost one of mine three weeks ago in a similar scenario, Well done for making the unselfish choice on behalf of your friend.

3. lokerola

lokerola Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Alexandria Virginia
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I went through the same thing a few years back with my cat Hobbes. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Hang in there.

4. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    I've had to do that with 2 cats. Most heart wrenching moment's of my life. I miss them terribly.

5. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I've been there as well, it's tough :( They're like family. Hang in there

6. I'm sorry bro. Looks like he was a cool cat.

7. Very sorry to hear this Blazer, I can only imagine the heartbreak. Gecondoleerd brother remember your old friend well

8. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    Oh no, another one of those threads so soon....:(

Sorry for your loss, i love cats and lost my 16 years old last year (close to a year ago now actually). Every time i see a thread like this i get reminded and well...there's like dust in my eyes. ****. It's tough. Like you i had to have her put down. Like you i had to take the decision. Like you i stood in the office alone for a while with her and couldn't bear it. I talked to her as she went out. I was just in total shock. I still haven't gotten over the guilt. I carried her home in a box so i could bury her somewhere i could go back to. Better this than dying in pain i guess..but she died in unfamiliar surroundings, not knowing what was going on.... And for days after i just thought i could see her on the edge of the bed. But she wasn't there. There was just her fur everywhere. **** there's still some around (she was part persian so she shed a lot) alright i gotta stop now because it just messes me up emotionally. But my most most heartfelt sympathies.

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I'm sad for your loss.
    Rest well, Mr. Red. May the mice be fat and slow, and the pillows soft and comfortable, where you are now.

10. I'm really sorry - losing a pet is truly painful.

11. I've lost a pet or two, but have yet to be the one that has to make "the decision," nor to see it go down. I can't even picture it man. So sad :(

12. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Thanks for your support guys it means a lot.

If you want to know what he was like, look at the third picture of him looking at the camera. That pose shows him how he truly was.

A lovable goofball.

13. Ned Starks Head

Ned Starks Head Yis, actually.

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    Very sorry for your loss, Blazer.

The video you linked to....hang on to that, even though it may hurt like hell now...it's pretty cool.

As people, we take on pets, sometimes almost without thinking. Then somewhere along the line, they get a hold of us, and they're not just pets anymore....they're family.
    And as family, it hurts when they pass.
    You made the right choice. You helped him when he needed it most.

Our cat that my daughter brought in a couple of years ago has the same coloring as Mr. Red, which kind of brings it home to me.
    And as Mr. Red, hes a lovable goofball.
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Keep that little pluck of hair.

14. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    Oh god i shouldn't have watched that video. It's not my cat but jesus man... it did its work on me. Yeah like someone said hold on to that, but don't watch that too much right now. It took me months before i could watch pics of vids of my cat after she died. You have to leave your grief a chance.

15. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned SUSPENDED

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    It's amazing how attached we can become to our pets. I have 2 cats. Don't like to think about what happens when they're gone.

16. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    The only thing I can offer is to take solace in the fact that Mr. Red lived like a king while he was here.

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm really sorry to hear that. i still miss all the cats that i've lost over the years.:(

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I am sorry for your loss, hugs.

19. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    So sorry for your loss. I've had to make that decision, and although you know when it's right, it's so hard to do.

I don't even like cats much, but that looks like an awesome cat.

20. Sooo Sorry to hear that your pet died.