1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rest your thumb on the E string?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JohnBarr, Apr 19, 2006.

1. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Just curious to know how many guys do this.

Not a floating thumb. Just regularly anchoring your thumb on the E.

I started out on an ABG, no thumb rest, no pickup, no choice. Though I could have used the end of the neck. So I got in the habit of resting my thumb on the E.

It's easy to do, just move the hand up a bit to play on E, and it does help reduce the sympathetic vibration of the E string.

But I'm practicing more on a "normal" electric for the past year. I continued to use the E but lately I've started resting on the pup. Odd how such small changes take some getting used to.

In fact, I seem to get a bit better tone that way, probably because of the angle my fingers cross the strings.

Thoughts or comments?

Thanks,
    John

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I started out resting my thumb on the p/up, but lately I've been resting my thumb on the E string a bit and I want to do it more - reasons:

1) I like the freedom of being able to place my right hand anywhere to get different tones and not being stuck with just one right hand position. I like to play closer to the bridge sometimes where the strings are tighter and the tone is brighter, but not all the way back at the bridge p/up on my Geddy. (meaning - I like to play between the p/ups)

2) I've found that when I play around with chords, something I hope to do more of in the future, that "floating thumb" is the way to go to get a nice clean sound... AND - IMO - Floating thumb only involves floating your thumb between, the A string, E string, or floating (when playing the E) ...so, resting on the E = 2/3 of the way to floating thumb.

IMO - resting the thumb on the E is the way to go. YMMV

3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I rest on the E string most of the time. That way I know where it is... and it isn't ringing.

4. I used to rest my thumb on the pickups all the time but my bass teacher is trying to get me used to shifting my thumb around and resting on the E string (or B string) if I'm not actually playing those strings.

5. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Yup, I dig playing back near the bridge and resting on the e string, sound very tight and funky when I want notes to percolate out, or I'm doing a joco-ish finger funk syncopation, that's a tone I dig.

6. just let my hand float in the air

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Mine is usually on the pup or the E.

Although, when I was playing some stuff on the G and D strings the toher day, my friend was like 'why are you bending the E so much?' - didn't even realize it.

8. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    Speaking of anchoring, are their any negative affects of anchoring on bass like their is with guitar? I know anchoring your pinky on a guitar while you pick is bad for your wrist (probably the same for pick bassists), but most of the people I've heard say anchoring your thumb on the pickup/string/thumbrest doesn't cause any problems or restrict playing at all.

9. If I'm playing a line that centres around the 'E' string, I'll rest my thumb on the pickup. If I'm playing something with most/all the notes on the A/D/G strings, I'll usually rest on the E string. I will sometimes rest on the A string, but not very often... I need more work on floating thumb before I start to use it more regularly in my playing.

10. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Well, for me it's pretty random. Yeah, I rest my thumb on the E string most of time, moving to A when playing mostly on D and G, or to the p.u.

11. I usually use my pinky and 2nd finger? finger next to the pinky, to deaden unused string while my thumb, index and middle finger are going at it, unless I am using all five. I dont know, I had to get the bass down off the wall to see what you are talking about. I played bass in a band for a long time with distortion. So I had to mind my Ps and Qs about open and symapthetic strings or else the power chords would garbage out.
    But I also use my left hand to deaden strings a lot

12. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Yeah I do that too. I tried anchoring on one spot but my right hand is pretty much right over the strings.