Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

resting technique...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by __Syxx__, Jan 18, 2001.

1. __Syxx__

__Syxx__ Guest

Nov 14, 2000
    brisbane australia
    hi, just wondering how many of u guys use the resting style. (eg.pluck the G string & rest your finger on the A string) And if so would you recommend it.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Well maybe I was taught wrong or maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but after I pluck the G string, I rest the plucking finger on the D string. When I pluck the D string, I rest the plucking finger on the A string. And when I pluck the A string, I rest the plucking finger on the E string. THat's how I was taught and I think it helps me to maintain alternation of the plucking fingers.

Maybe someone else will weigh in here with their method.

jason oldsted

3. Hi there Syxx

Are you talking about resting your thumb or your plucking finger.

I'm with Jason on this one - if I'm playing on the G string i tend to end up resting my plucking finger on the D string.....

But if you're talking about resting your thumb against the A string when you play the G string then that makes sense to me as well.

Good luck mate

Dean

4. __Syxx__

__Syxx__ Guest

Nov 14, 2000
    brisbane australia
    Sorry guys, what i wanted to discribe was exactly how Jason said it. I was a bit tired when i posted it. :)

[Edited by __Syxx__ on 01-19-2001 at 02:29 AM]