1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Restore 1965 Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tritone, May 10, 2005.

1. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    No worries!! :hyper:

2. I agree. Thats why I kept the replaceent neck he put on it, sold the valuable stuff, replaced them with aftermarket parts, and pocketed a whole bunch of money. The bass sounded just as good to me. :)

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars

Those old pickups are great. I do believe that age helps old fender pickups...Something between the metal of the wire and the pull of those magnets over time...*sigh*...well, maybe its voodoo, but I do believe my own ears...

It works for guitar pickups too, I used to have a MIJ 50's tele that I loaded with a set of 68's, and never heard more compliments from soundguys, other guitar players and audiences.

4. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I still think $2500 is too much. Now knowing that it's a Jazz definately does make it worth more than the P, but I would say $2k at the most. This, of course, is just my opinion. I tend to approach this kind of stuff from a very 'worst case scenario pov,' so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Like other people have said, try and find out how original the rest of the bass is: pots, neck plate, tuners, bridge, etc. The more of that stuff that's original, the more I'd pay.

If you do get it, congrats :D There's nothing like owning a vintage piece. If the logo was still there, I wouldn't do anything to it. Even if it's cracked and maybe messed up a little bit. As far as the finish goes, I'd say have it refinished in whatever color you want. I see very little value in trying to match it up to the original color. Some of my customers care about that, but most don't. Besides, if you're buying it to keep it, then make it look how YOU want it to.

Good luck in all of this. Again, I'm sorry for the confusion about it being a JBass. If you have any tech questions, please share them with the rest of us! We're all losers and have nothing better to do than to talk about gear :D

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Amen! I love the dryness of an old pu. One of the coolest "player" guitars I've had in was a refinished '63 Tele about 2 years ago. I've never had so many customers freak over a piece that wasn't all original. It was all the pickups on that piece. That must have been the year that Leo used magic pixie dust during the winding process ;)

6. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Thanks for the input and info, everyone. Having weighed all the opinions, I've decided to go ahead and make a restoration project out it (if the price becomes right ;)). If I do indeed go ahead with it, I'll try and post some progress photos of the project if anybody's interested (?).

Thanks again!

7. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    :D LOL

Will do!

8. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm gonna want to see when you're through.