1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

restoring an 810E

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K-Funk, Feb 29, 2008.

1. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    I know I just started a thread on trading off my 8x10, but to entertain all possibilities, I was curious as to how one would restore one of these monsters.

I'd upload pics, but my dad took my camera to Daytona three days ago, so you'll just have visualize: it's a '91 or '92 810E, and over 50% of the tolex is ripped, gone, damaged, or piled up. The grill cloth has some tears and is warped/twisted. The cab works fine, and the speakers/wiring are in surprisingly good shape.

How would I make this thing more presentable? I know, "Keep the mojo!", but if I could give you pics.... you'd understand. So how does one "refinish" a cab? do you re-tolex it, or rhinoliner or what? As for the grill, I'm probably going to replace it with a steel grill (like on Mesa cabs). Tolex is cool, but if there's some way I can apply a more durable finish, any input is appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    The grill cloth part is fairly easy. You can get the cloth for www.fliptops.net. Just remove the current grill, remove the staples that hold the cloth on, take the old cloth away, cut the appropriate sized new cloth, align it with the grill frame, pull the new stuff tight as you staple. It's very important to stretch it evenly, however. Otherwise it will have a wavy, uneven look to it.

As far as the retolexing...

Search this forum for a thread that has to do with refurbishing/refinishing/reconditioning an SVT. I posted a lengthy description of how I retolexed my old SVT/810 rig. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll PM it back to you. Be aware, this process takes many labor hours--have some time on your hands! :)

3. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    yeah, if I don't sell the cab, I was going to take a nice chunk of time this summer to recondition the entire thing. The thread was very useful; thanks!!

4. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    if your gunna tour it and beat it up anyway, whats the point?

imo 8x10s are meant to be beaten

5. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    I would rip off the rest of the old tolex, do some cleanup, fill any gouges (if there are any) with wood putty and sanding to get the cabinet relatively smooth. Then cover it with Duratex:

http://www.acrytech.com/store.asp?pid=14119

You can roll it on or spray it. Recommended by the Bill Fitzmaurice speaker design community. Great thing about this is if the cabinet gets scuffed, you can just apply more Duratex to that spot. The "high build" version is supposed to be particularly good.

6. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    sweet! that looks to be my solution! it could get a little pricey, but I'm sure it'd be worth it. Thanks!

7. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    i did my 69 810 ampeg for 35.00 ..... a lot cheaper than tolex and glue .....

8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Check out the restore on my web page under "projects"

9. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    how did you apply the carpet and where did you get it?

10. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I got the carpet and rubber feet for the grille at http://www.partsexpress.com/index.cfm?raid=1&rak=parts_express . The grill was made by a local metal fab place, as the kick plate. I made the side rails from 1x1 oak grade stakes. The towel bar, wheels and jack plate were kept. Speakers are eminence branded "electro harmonix SVT replacement" 32 ohm speakers wired in parallel.