1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

restoring and preserving varnish

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by MJC, Feb 27, 2008.

1. MJC

MJC

Feb 24, 2008
    Seattle
    I'm looking for information (from an expert) on restoring and protecting the varnish on an ancient tyrolean Double bass (17c Alban). I believe much of the original finish is present but there are numerous flaws including some places with bare wood. I would like to preserve and protect the varnish and improve the appearance. I understand that the work should be done by a competent professional, but I would like to be knowledgeable about the procedures. If any can suggest some literature to read or a professional to talk with I would be grateful.

2. Talk to David Wilson at Hammond Ashley.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I see you have a Gemunder too. I would love to see pics of both your Basses. I have an A.Gemunder as well in restoration now so I have some personal interest there.

Also, if you show pics of your Tirol Bass, other Luthiers here might comment as well.

4. MJC

MJC

Feb 24, 2008
    Seattle
    Ken and Bob: Thanks for replying. I have good pictures but need to figure out how to post them. I could email them to you til I figure it out - (I'm a bit of a computer novice).
    I believe Mathias Alban and Matteo Albani (Bolzano) are one and the same - just the Germanic version of the name.
    I'll probably have the work done at Hammond Ashley - they've done work for me in the past and I've been very happy with it - and they are great people.

5. jimmyduded

jimmyduded

Jun 12, 2007
    cherry hill nj
    if youd like you can pm me for my email and ill post them here for you

6. MJC

MJC

Feb 24, 2008
    Seattle
    Here's a picture of the bass I'm referring to.

Attached Files:

7. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Take your bass down to Hammond Ashley. They'll tell you more than you want to know about varnish.

Also, if you have a good university with a music school the library should have dozens of books on instruments and probably a lot of information on varnish.

But a nice old bass like this should be attended to by a professional only.

all best,