restoring burn marks??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by basserman44, Oct 20, 2000.

1. i am thinking about gettin a project bass and i found one that is in the condition that i want. BUT it has brun marks where someone messed with it with a wood burner. my question is, is there a way i can restore these marks via sanding, etc? how about a new paintjob? anything will be helpful. thanx

2. Sure, depending on how deep the burns are, you can sand them away. It's kinda screwy that someone would take a woodburner to a bass but it's not unrecoverable. I would definitely approach it with finer grades of paper rather than if it needed stripping with coarser papers. You don't really know how much would be enough so take it easy at first. If it cleans up totally, you could go with a natural finish. If you can't get all of the damage sanded out, then you can fill the flaws easily with any number of wood products and go for a painted finish.
  3. basserman44
    What type of wood is it, Ash , Alder, Mohaghany?
    You might want to try bleaching the wood with a commercial grade wood bleach if the light sanding does not work.
    It comes in a two part package A&B.
    Follow the lable directions and remember, it's always best to sample a hidden spot or use scrap wood first.
    Keep in mind that depending on the type of wood your bleaching, it WILL lighten the coloring of the wood.
    You may have to lighten the entire body so you have color uniformity.
    The easiest way would be to use an opaque color to hide the imperfection.
    Good luck