1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Restoring Crossover?:Katrina Damaged

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lbwdog, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Ok, Two years later and I'm just getting around to this.
    My 2 month old SWR Goliath III was a victim in Waveland Ms. It was 5 weeks before I could even retrieve it and it had been soaked with salt water, mud and just about anything else you can think of.

I eventually reconed the speakers, stripped the cab and now am preparing to try to put it all back together.

Any suggestions on how to clean the crossover and test it before hooking it up to an amp?

There is some corrosion (duh!), lime buildup in spots and just plain old dried mud. The level control turns freely and I can spay contact cleaner on most of the parts. Just looking for advice.

2. More Pics

Attached Files:

3. smurfco

smurfco Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    If that thing still works after you get done you oughta contact SWR. If I were them I'd want to put that in an ad - hurricane proof!

Don't have any answers to your tech questions so consider this a friendly bump.

4. That crossover is toast. The inductor coil has way too much corrosion to be trusted. You could try removing it and cleaning it with a strong solvent, but anything strong enough to completely remove that will probably melt the bobbin its wrapped on. Parts Express sells coils; you just need to get the value. You can save the PC board and the connector plate, but they'll both have to be disassembled and throroughly cleaned. Even though it turns freely, I wouldn't trust the L-Pad. Although at worst case, it will either short completely full or off. Replacing it and the coil will be cheaper than buying the chemicals to clean them. There probably is a large capacitor on the back of the PC board. If you can test it and it's OK, it should be fine. If not, replacements are around$5-10 at most.

5. Smurf, I'd agree with you if SWR had offered any type of assistance after this tragedy. But, as you can see in this post I made in December '05, they essentially turned their backs on us after the worst natural disaster to ever occur in the U.S.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220871

I can say however that the G-K amp is damn near hurricane proof. I'm still using it and it's now twenty years old!

I had just bought the SWR and still love the tone. Actually, Guitar Center in Mobile had a clearance in early 2006 and I bought another G III then. Mind you, I didn't ask these manufacturers for freebies, but just for some help in rebuilding my backline. Shure even replaced all our Beta mics for $53 each but SWR wouldn't even send me a crossover at cost!

At least things are a little better now. For me at least. It's not raining inside my house anymore and I do still have a house!

6. Actually the coil looks pretty good. The worst corrosion is on that metal plate which I cleaned with a little CLR and sprayed the rest with contact cleaner. Who knows? I guess I'll see.

If it's toast I'll probably just put it back together without the X-over and tweeter since I don't use much tweeter anyway.

Attached Files:

7. I thought that the back of the L-Pad was the bottom of the inductor bobbin. I agree, it looks good. You may get away with just a good cleaning.