1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

restoring my dads old fender percision??????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cwest, Oct 20, 2010.

1. cwest

cwest

Oct 20, 2010
    my pops played this thing his whole life and i want to semi restore it. not refinish it, just make it the way it was when he was traveling with it. its a 1960 percision. my dad said that he changed the neck, the ashtray covers are gone, and it has diffrent pickups in it. so my question is, would i even be able to hunt all these things down? anybody got any advise?

Attached Files:

2. Hunting down a good 1960 fender P neck is not going to be cheap by any means for the parts your looking for , were talking thousand's, yes plural.

3. why not just leave it the way it is,if you dont wanna refinish it? Just clean it up and play it the way your dads been playing it for so long.

4. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    It's possible... but you have to be vigilant. I (finally) found a '59 RW P-Bass neck for my '59 body (neck replaced in '75 with a '73 maple). Well over a grand invested with the refret, new nut, semi-refin.

5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    All true. The only original part you seem to have there is the body.

6. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area

+1 and may I say a very nice post.

If you want to have a momeno of your dad, I would leave it as is. He did what he did to it because that's how he wanted it.

If you want to create an authentic collectable, be prepared to spend thousands collecting the missing parts.

7. cwest

cwest

Oct 20, 2010
    ya i fuigured the neck was going to be spendy. i have pictures of me with that bass when i was like 2 and im 30 now. im not positive that the neck has been changed because my dad is not even shure if he did change it. but i know the pickups were changed like 30 somthing years ago in yakima washington and he put dimarzio ones in it

8. cwest

cwest

Oct 20, 2010
    that old body has the gnarliest buckle rash ever. my pops is old cowboy, so he had a huge buckle ha ha

9. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Words of wisdom, let it be.

10. cwest

cwest

Oct 20, 2010
    my computer is not letting me upload larger pics, but ill keep tryin so you can really see it.

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    post some pics of the neck. generally, 1960 p basses had rosewood fingerboards.

12. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    no man i aint got no advise fer ya on yur persishun base.

13. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    + 1 on the spelling.....leave it alone , change the strings and start it up !!!

14. If you want a vintage tone,you could go with some SD antiquity pickups and they'd wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb and give you great vintage tone.

15. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Like others have said, "restoring" it would be uber-expensive. I say leave it be - it carries all of your Dad`s history with it.

16. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    The body isn't in the greatest condition, so even if you bought all of the parts, the whole bass wouldn't net much more than the neck is worth because of the body.

It's a player. Clean it up, set it up, and play it.

17. Leave it like it is unless you have to repair something. That's a great looking bass!

18. He said it best.
    If it's a player, play it. If it is a "keepsake" becauce it was your Dad's, display it.

19. That bass is beautiful

20. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Thats one of the most beautiful instruments Ive ever seen! Why you want to change it?

Dont fix what ain't broken. ;)

Wow, incredible bass.