Restrain 'yerselves - What is a song that people DON'T cover that ought to be?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Myster Thumbs, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Saw the thread for MOST covered, and thought this would be a good way to get us all thinking...and I'm not just suggesting tunes where we can jump up and down on our monitors w/ our heads back while we FUNK either :cool:

There's a few tunes I've heard that just have a "riff" that just works...

Fool for Your Stockings (ZZ Top)
    Sail on Sailor (Beach Boys)(But imagine it w/ a Blues feel???)
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've never heard anyone cover "Manic Mechanic" by ZZ Top. I love that song! Also, "The Ocean", by Zep.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I never hear any versions of Buffalo Springfeild's "For What It's Worth"
  4. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
  5. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I've always wanted to do this with a band of mine, but no one ever bites: the "Doctor Who" theme song from the Tom Baker years. Synthy weirdness and driving, gallopping bass!
  6. Local band in town called King Me does both of those. S-D is a pretty cool song IMHO.
  7. TheLastMinute

Jun 23, 2002
    take on me was done by mxpx as well.

old songs are always good like "every breath you take" by the pistols. thats one my band covered.
  8. Oh ya..that's right. Reel Big Fish did Take on me also right?
  9. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Yeah they did. Great song.
  10. Good point on "The Ocean"...

I would still love to see covers of "Paranoid Android" (radiohead) or "A day in the Life"...hmm, i'll have to talk to my band about that...
  11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I could never get any of my bandmates to do "Jessie's Girl," even though it's pretty easy and a definite babe-getter.

How about "Kokomo," by The Beach Boys?
  12. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" is just screaming for a genre-bending cover, methinks.

(I'm serious.)

13. Jessies Girl! that is a good good song... that rick springfield...... i would like to do "we built this city" i think that song is by starship?
  14. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Jesse's Girl would be a great ole' song to cover. My band use to cover 867-5309 (Jenny) and people use to go nuts when our guitarist broke into that opening riff.

I agree about the Beach Boys stuff, but your band better have some top notch harmonies going on to do that. I did see a band once that covered some Beach Boys and did it well.
  15. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    There's a great cover band in Seattle called "Herding Cats" that does the theme to the Muppet Show. It rules. :D
  16. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The Beatniks, another Seattle cover band, does a completely and utterly amazing version of "A Day in the Life"; and I'm super-critical of anyone covering the Beatles.
  17. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
  18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Stairway to Heaven