1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Restring a 5-string from BAEDG to EADGC: nut work?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by srayb, Nov 20, 2010.

1. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Canada
    I have a 6-string, however I am looking around at getting a new 5-string. I would probably restring it so that I will have a high-C instead of the low-B that is standard.

My question is, would I have to do any work on the nut (replace the nut?) as the gauges will be smaller than what it was designed for.

Thanks!

2. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    If the headstock is angled or the strings can be wrapped on the tuner posts to provide a sufficient break angle over the nut, no mods should be necessary.
    I have several 4 strings strung BEAD and occasionally change one to EADG with no problems.

mech

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Most likely a new nut would be helpful. If the nut slot is too wide, the string can move side to side in the too wide slot and create strange artifacts in the tone. The string may also sit too low in the nut causing buzzing at the first fret. Also, spacing may be a problem. Your results may vary.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    When I strung one of my 5 string basses with high C I didn't bother to change the nut and it seemed to work just fine. I was looking for trouble from doing that, but none appeared. On the other hand it is obvious that to do this correctly, you'd need to have a new nut cut to eliminate any possibility of weird nut artifacts in the tone. I guess it's just how anal you are. My attitude was that if the bass wasn't going to bother me, I wasn't going to bother it!