Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

restringing an ibanez BTB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stu hamm rules!, Aug 6, 2003.

1. im not sure if this goes in strings or bass, so im putting it in both.

Just decided to restring my ibanez (they've been on a year). I took all the strings off, and when i had opened up my new pack of rotosounds, i suddenly realised i have no idea how to restring the thing. I tried just hooking the little circle under the silver part, then screwing it into the machine head, but it was very buzzy, and close to the neck. On tightening further the problem was not alleviated. I tried another string with the same result. In fact im mad right now cos i managaed to break a string tighening it too much (arg! :mad: ).

please could someone tell me what im doing wring and what im supposed to do. I have restrung before but not with this kind of bridge.

My bass is an ibanez btb406.

Thanks.

2. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I don't understand what the problem is... Do you not know how to wrap the string around the tuner or how to hook it into the bridge? If it is the tuner then I don't know what to say. :meh:

If I'm not mistaken your bass has the mono-rail bridge. I'm pretty sure it's just a through the body type of setup.

Could the buzzing be truss rod related? If you were using dead strings that didn't vibrate much before then the new ones could make this problem more apparent. Does this make any sense?

3. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Ok. I looked it up for you and all I can say now is RTFM. It's right there on page 2. It goes something like this...

[​IMG]

4. thx, i think thats what i was looking for.

PS - what does RTFM mean?

5. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    READ THE F'N MANUAL

No problem man. Happy stringing.

6. Also, if you had non tappered strings in your bass and the rotosounds are tappered, you should adjust the height to prevent fret buzz.

7. thanks for the advice but i think i have found the problem, the tension in the strings must have been bending the neck a bit. When i put on the rest of the strings this bent the neck away from them slightly, so there was no contact and no buzz.

sorry to trouble you but it had me in quite a panic!

btw. they didnt give me a manual...

8. No problem. Download the manual in Adobe Acrobat reader from the ibanez website. You might need it some day.