1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Restringing Hofner Club (beatle bass) - Hole instead of Gap at tuners? - beginner

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dingo, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Dingo

Dingo

Mar 16, 2018
    Denmark
    Hi guys,

I'm restringing my hofner ignition club icon with flats for the first time, and the machine heads (where I put the strings in at the head) have a hole, rather than an open gap, which I'm used to.

The problem: I've restringed my E-string. However, I've not crossed the string while winding. I've winded them so they are 'side-by-side' like I would with a normal bass machine head.

My question then is do I need to actually cross them while winding since they are more similar to a guitar machine head with the hole rather than a gap? If I just let them be with the 'side-by-side' strategy, will I have problems down the road?

Sorry if the question is trivial, but I've tried googling without luck as all bass restringing guides use a gapped machine head.

2. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    No, stacking the windings (side-by-side) is much tidier and less likely to slip. You're on the right track!

Dingo likes this.
  3. Dingo

Dingo

Mar 16, 2018
    Denmark
    Ah, alright! So glad I can get on with the stringing. Really love the la bella flats over the stocked ones, so I can barely wait to restring the rest.

Thanks for the confidence in my approach :)

fermata likes this.