Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Restringing my 5'er

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Vorago, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Well, I recently bought a Warwick Corvette 5string, I love its tone, but I think I'm better off with a bass that is tuned in E-A-D-G-C then a bass that is in B-E-A-D-G (as it is tuned now)...Is this a tricky job to do, dropping the B and adding C? What should I be beware of? How about adjusting truss rods (sp?)? Could someone give some advice on these, I have never adjusted the truss rodd before, and I don't want to mess up my new bass. Adjusting action shouldn't be a problem, done that before..

So any help here?

Thanks

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Anyone? :(

3. One of the main areas of concern is the nut. The slots are cut for different gauges than you'll be using so there might be some adjustment needed there. You'll be using a smaller set (in relation to the nut) so you might have to build up some of the slots. Then again, you might not have to - you'll just have to string it up and check to see if the strings seat themselves into the slots.

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Replacing the nut is usually about a $40-60 job at a local guitar repair shop. Id just get a new nut installed for the strings you plan to put on it.