Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

restringing my bass?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by BassGreaser, Aug 9, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I just received a E and A strings (Eudoxa). Is there a way to change my E and A with out having to take off my D string? My D runs right over the winds of the A....

2. hmmm, maybe just loosen up the D enough to wind the A on? I dunno, probably just whatever it takes to get them on. Just keep enough tension on everything to keep your soudpost from falling over, or you'll be doing the "help me mr. luthier" thing... :D

3. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    yeah, it's not tough. let enough tension off the d string that you're able to pull it over to the g side to get it out of the way of the e and a strings in the pegbox. a good way to keep it off to the side is to hook it on the g string where the g passes over the nut. now you can change out the e and a strings. the tension of the g alone will be sufficient to hold the soundpost in place during the switch.

sean p

4. Loosen and rewind the D so it's out of the way. Change the E first, then the A. Try never to have more than one string off at a time.

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks guys!! I changed the strings with no problems. One more question...I know one should oil gut strings. Does the also apply to guts with flat wounds, such as these?

6. I suggest you resist the urge to do something and leave the strings alone.

7. For you, mr. Stringoiler, I´d suggest trumpet valve grease....
    Seriously, what does it say in the sales cover of the Eudoxas? What I know about Garbos, the Velvet company does not require, no recommend oiling them. Wiping them clean with soft cloth once in while should be enuff. Check the strings section of the board about eudoxas.

R2