Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

restringing question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lemonadeisgood, Nov 16, 2002.

1. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    When re-stringing, how much length should I leave when I bring the fresh string past the tuning post before I insert and start winding the string to get the proper amount of loops around the post?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

3. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Fender Precision.

I checked that link before I posted this thread, they don't mention how long after the post you should leave before cutting, I'd like to know what is a good length so I don't have too much string wrapped around the post.

4. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Actually, I read the 2+2 headstock restringing and it says to leave about 2-3 inches after the headstock. Hurray!

5. rickbass

Well, I'm glad you checked it lemon. That was smart.

That article says, "more than 4" past the post."

Just remember, it's like a haircut --- you can always cut more off but you can't add more.

So, if you're unsure, err on the side of caution and you can't go wrong.

6. are the strings on your bass right now a good length? if so, take one off, compare it side by side to the new string, and cut the new string to the same length. if the strings on your bass right now are too long, cut the new one a bit shorter.

come on boy, use your head.

7. rickbass

How many watts should the head have to restring it right??? :confused:

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    At least 300, or so I've heard ;)

9. at least 4 times the guitarist's wattage is the BARE MINIMUM for onstage restringing, d00d.