Results of downsizing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Mar 19, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    As many of you know according to my previous posts, I've been going through a period of downsizing my gear, mainly to keep the family happy, and secondarily to make some space in the house (maybe the two concepts are related, who knows). Here are the results.

I've sold off all my gigging basses except for two, one fretless and one fretted. Both are Roscoe LG-3005's. There are still several studio basses in my arsenal, which fit conveniently into the corner of a large walk-in closet, and they only come out for sessions (and occasionally for show). Among the basses I sold were two F basses, several Alembics, a Yamaha, and a MusicMan. The only one I'll probably miss is the new BN5, that was a fine bass and it'll surely make someone very happy.

Amp-wise, I've kept the two Walter Woods amps, and sold the rest. The Ultra is my main gigging amp, it goes wherever I go. The MI-100 is only for studio and home studio use, I use the line out to feed the board, and only use the amp for monitoring purposes. Also I kept a Stewart 2.1 to drive the subs (for outdoor gigs). Among the amps I sold were an SWR 750, several pre/power amp combinations including an Alembic F2B and Carvin DCM-2000, an Aguilar, an Ashdown, and a Marshall Major.

Cab-wise, I kept the BagEnd S-12's and S-15's, and a few EV subs (EVX-180A's, and EVX-155's). The main thing with these is they're modular, I can use as many as few as the venue requires. I sold all of the bigger and heavier cabs, including all the SWR's (a Goliath, a Big Ben, and a Son of Bertha) and a pair of Acoustic 301's.

Also got rid of the pedals and toys, except for an EBS MultiComp (which I rarely use, but it's important when it's needed). There's too many toys to list, but mainly they're all the effects like chorus, delay, and so on. The only thing I'm still in need of is an old Seamoon Funk Machine, if anyone has one for sale please let me know. :)

The remaining gear meets all my professional and semi-professional needs. The Roscoes are wonderful, I can dial up just about any sound I need with those and the WW Ultra. For classic rock and blues cover gigs in small clubs, I use the Ultra with a single EVX-155 in a Crate BE15 cab, that's plenty loud and it delivers a nice throbbing lower midrange that works perfectly for fingerstyle and slap, and with a pick. I always use the BagEnd's for anything that requires a fretless, mostly jazz and bluegrass. The subs come out for outdoor gigs, which are mainly original "modern progressive" style and some classic rock covers.

I usually take the Alembics into the studio, mainly the one super heavy 5-string Series II with extra long scale and extra wide string spacing. That's a beautiful bass, and there's no way I'd ever be able to find anything else that resembles the sound it creates (I've never even heard another Alembic that comes anywhere close to it, it's truly one of a kind). And the fretless fiver with the 3/4 size body, that works well with the board.

So that's it. Roscoes for live work, Alembics for the studio, Walter Woods amps, and BagEnd and EV speakers. I'm a happy camper with these, and my family seems to appreciate all the extra room in the house. I feel like an addict who's just recovered from an extended bout with GAS. Now the trick is going to be to keep from buying any new gear. It's going to be tough. Maybe GA will help (Gasaholics Anonymous).
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Nice job downsizing! Now the trick is to stay away from the TB Classified Ads and e-Bay. ;) :)
  3. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    The first GAS ex-addict I know.
    You`ll surely enjoy some other important aspects of your life now.
    I personally think you didn`t "really need" so much stuff.
  4. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    A refreshing thread indeed. I was heading down the same road until I was asked to join a second band and "she" approved, so I am putting together a 2nd rig. Still, I've gone from 11 to 9 basses, and haven't picked up another bass since Nov 2003 or sold one since Jan 2004, both a long time for me :p

Anymore, 8 times out of 10 I pick up the Lakland 94-55, and take the Elrick or Modulus as back-up. For the 2nd band I plan on using a Roscoe LG 3005 and the Benavente '51 P/J (they tune down, so I can't use the same basses).

I'm not cured, but it's nice to know it can be done ;)
  5. Non,
    Didn't you have Bergantino HT112's ???
    Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else...