1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

resume/job app question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by gsys, May 12, 2006.

1. Back story: I went to college for 5 years and didn't come out with a degree for a number of reasons, including changing majors, changing motivations, etc.

Flash forward a year to today: I've recently moved, which means I need to get a new job, like the permanent kind you work during weekdays with health benefits.

Question: How do I mention my partial college educatedness on a resume without causing my potential employer to think that I may lack initiative, or alternatively, that I'll quit the job to go back to college?

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Go back to college, finish your degree, start your career.

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I have it as "attending XXX University" and nothing about graduation or degree since I am still going.

For you I would say "attended XXX University" and not mention if you got a degree from it. If they ask... walk out acting like a monkey, then go finish it. :D

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Did you complete anything at all while at school? You could say "Completed studies in (insert subject here) at ______".

-Mike

5. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    +1 serg. got a good laugh out of that one. But in all seriousness I agree with all of the above. Just don't mention anything about a degree unless they specifically ask.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    XX number of credits in _____ studies?

7. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    If it comes up during an interview remember to let them do the talking. Don't lie, but don't say much either.

Offhand, it's best to let the interviewer talk 75% of the time.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    First off, make sure you use words that exist.

Sorry. Better you hear it from us than from a job rejection letter.

9. Thats what we do over here, but we've got a points system where every course (module) is worth a certain amount of credits, needing 360 to attain a general degree and advance to honours

If theres anything like that on your end list the credits you got

And if they ask why you didnt finish college, say it was for personal reasons, the sniff, wipe your nose and break down crying, banging your fists off the floor shouting "why god, why!"

Or just say that it was because of personal reasons/problems at the time