Retail 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by miktit, Apr 15, 2001.

1. miktit

miktit Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    I'm considering buying a 5-string.

I'm currently playing a Fender Jazzbass from 1977 w. maple fingerboard. I think my bass is quite versatile, but I really miss the punch of the low B-string.
    My main concern is to get a clear sound from the B-string (otherwise there's no point in getting a 5-string is there?)
    I've considered purchasing af Stingray 5 since I think it does the trick regarding versatility and clear tone, but I could use some other suggestions (I can't afford high-end basses like Alembic etc.).

Mikkel Tiedt (Denmark)
  2. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Maybe look into Fenders again (American Std. J-Bass 5) or look at, design a body, define Pickups and Hardware and wait for the qoute (it will definitely be a good price...).

3. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    De Armond has some really good 5ers.
  4. FredC

Apr 14, 2001
    US, Cleveland

I am pretty much in the same situation. I am looking for a 5 strings with a punch to it. I am currently looking at the Sting Ray and so far this is my best option. I tried it out and was pretty suprised by its versatility, low end, hi end with a width panel of settings. It definitely rips for slap and punchy funk lines but it also handles softer lines.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Try an American Jazz Deluxe V. I think it's more versatile than the Stingray (I own both). The newer Jazz Deluxes have good electronics and improved pickups. Of course, you MUST try a Fender Roscoe Beck 5, too. It's mo' bitchen.
  6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I played the Stingray 5 and the Fender American Deluxe 5 but chose the Peavey Millenium 5 over those. They are all fine basses. The Peavey has 35" scale and string-thru body, adjustable string spacing, and sweepable mids. The transition from the B string to the E is seamless. To all Peavey bashers, I suggest that you play one of these before you knock it...
  7. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Warwick Thumb basses have very clear and punchy B strings, but they might not give you that "traditional" vibe you're used to.
  8. shagEb

shagEb Guest

Apr 14, 2001
    USA, Polkville NC

the Peavey you are referring to is the cirrius.i just bought one a month a go and i love. the (vfs) pickup sounds great and the B is sweet.also check out the G&L thay make a great 5 .
  9. Rich Briere

Rich Briere

Jul 5, 2000
    I'd second the motion on the Roscoe Beck. I'd also suggest the MTD basses. (The Grendels are certainly affordable). And the DeArmond Pilot 5's are killer and inexpensive!! :^>)

Bass-ically Yours,
  10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

No, he is talking about the Millenium. It also has 35" scale. The Cirrus does not have stings-thru-body. It is neck thru body, while the Millenium is a bolt on.

I have owned both, and I like the Cirrus much better. I suggest trying one of them out. I promise you will not be disappointed.
  11. shagEb

shagEb Guest

Apr 14, 2001
    USA, Polkville NC
  12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    miktit -

The suggestion of checking out the entry-level MTD's is an excellent one.

I happen to work part-time at Bass Central, and it affords me the opportunity to check out many basses. I've played some incredibly expensive basses that just didn't have very impressive B strings, and some inexpensive ones that had incredible B strings.

Hands down, the best B I've played for under $1000 USD is the MTD Kingston. It's a great bass "as is", but also would be a great candidate for upgrading. Basically, the Kingston is a passive Stingray-type bass with a 35" scale length. The pickup and hardware are actually pretty good. It plays great and sounds wonderful acoustically. I'd prefer a good active (Bartolini, Basslines/Seymour Duncan) pickup with active tone package for more tonal versatility, and a better bridge, but it's a great bass as is. I honestly actually prefer the Kingston to the Stingrays...I'm sure that will get me flamed now...:eek: :p

The list price on the basic Kingston (not the figured maple top one) is $629, the "street price" is under $500 ($471 at BC). It may be worth it for you to check into having one shipped to you from the US, unless you can find a dealer in Denmark.