Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Retail, Street & Used Amp Prices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gazman_res, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Is there a website where I can check out prices on Pre-Amps and heads.. more specifically Retails prices, Street and used prices?

Normally I'd just go to E-Bay, but i usually don't come up with anything.

PS.: This thread was sparked by me heading into my dealer and recieved a quote on an Eden Navigator Pre-Amp for $AUD2999.00!!! I just checked on TB: For Sale Forum and i saw is used for USD$425.00, ***!!

2. i really dont know of any web site like this, but lots of stores have major markup.a good place to check would be musicians friend maybe would be the closest thing to what you want for retail.. Ebay or here for used.

3. Craigle

Craigle "Careful with that joke, it's an antique!"

Mar 10, 2004
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    The only place I know of like that is www.prepal.com Someone else on TB posted this a while back, so I haven't seriously used it to verify any prices, but it might be worth a look.

Craig

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Prepal tracks the average prices used gear is selling for but not new products.

Best thing is to do alot of research. Search all the places that have it new. Then search places like TB, Harmony Central, MusicGoRound.com, Craigslist and any other place that sells used.

If you do all that you should be able to make an informed decision or atleast have some idea of the going prices.

5. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    You should be able to find retail prices on the web - sites listed in this thread are pretty good. Sometimes the retail prices will be listed on the manufacturer's website as well. Usually I consider a good\fair price on new equipment to be 70-75% of retail. Online retailers and larger operations can usually hit this with no problem - may be tougher with smaller retailers. I find at smaller retailers, I generally pay a little more, but expect better service in return. Used? I would guess 35-55% of retail is average from what I have seen. I know that is a wide spread, but like cars, I think some items have a higher resale value than others. Highly desireable items like an SVT-CL, Mesa 400+, EB Stingray 5s or Warwick Thumbs tend to run on the high end of that range whereas less desirable ones can fall well below that.

At least this has worked for me in the U.S. - I understand prices can be considerably higher internationally (and some things very difficult to get at all). But you would know more about that than me. Good luck.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Buy the American one. US$425 equates to $550 Australian. Double it to account for shipping, then add Customs (aprox $130) and GST (aprox $120) and it comes in at $1,350 delivered to your door.

The danger is you don't get to check it out first so you don't really know if it's in good nik! If you could somehow verify this, it's worth considering.