Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Retailers - Items on an "In Stock" page should be available, not marked SOLD!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SteveC, Feb 27, 2006.

1. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Is anyone else sick of going to online retail places (I'm talking "upscale" places) and finding their "In Stock" pages full of items with "SOLD" next to them.

I'm fine with you keeping pics of basses that you have sold, but they should be somewhere other than on the page that has items FOR SALE.

Please make an "Archives" or "Resently Sold" page. If it's on a "Basses in Stock" page, I expect that the bass is in the store and will be shipped within 2 days of payment.

Thanks.

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I feel ya, It is annoying. At least they mark it sold. I saw a bass I liked on line and when I called about it I was told they sold it a couple of weeks ago.

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I don't mind it for the most part when they only do major updates every so often, but one place in particular that I check out (less frequently becuase of this) seems to NEVER remove ANYTHING from their pages. If they have 18 basses listed under 5 strings 16 of them are sold, and have been in most cases for years. They've even recently been posting pics of basses that they never offered to sell, like ones that the luthier made for his own personal use.

I've heard that this particular place was sold recently, so we'll see if anything changes...

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sounds like you're talking about Bass Alone....it always bugs me as well....it's not bad when all of the "sold" basses are at the bottom of the page, but when they're all mixed up with the available basses, it's a pain.

5. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, trying not to name names, but if you've been there more than a few times, it's pretty obvious.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Car dealerships have been doing this for years. It works to get you in the door.

-Mike

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I hope I'm not being blamed here! :ninja:

:D

Seriously, from an objective point of view, I agree that it would be extremely frustrating. If you're interested in a bass, you want to know if it's available. Otherwise, you move on and try to find something suitable somewhere else. That's why I keep my site up-to-date daily.

..and throw those sold basses in a separate gallery! :smug:

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It doesn't bother me. It says "sold"... so how much thought beyond that needs to go into it;)

In the case of Bass Alone you get an idea of what they carry. Again, doesn't bother me at all. Now if it didn't say "sold" and it was, that would be another matter. I wouldn't want to waste a phone call or email.

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    There is another bass retailer (on line) that has a used Sadowsky still "for sale" that was bought and totally reworked as a "project bass by a TB'er over six months ago. I'm sure if you called them they'd say it was "just sold". And yet another that has a discontinued color of a Lakland Daryl Jones pictured as in-stock, a TB'er called on that bass 6 weeks ago and he "just missed" it. I don't mind if they mark it as sold (in big bold letters). But that is certainly a pet peeve of mine!

10. BHB's got it going on. I'm just sad you took my bass out of the sold gallery:crying: