1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rethinking my Aguilar cabs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrandMarkie, Oct 27, 2006.

1. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    Some of you might know that I just picked up the DB410 and DB210 and am now thinking of switching to some eden XST or XLT's. This is based solely on reviews though.

I'm looking for a gritty sound with the ability to handle the 'B' string. Seems people are saying this is what the Eden sound is about.

I am in the market for an amp and had decided on a Genz-Benz GBE1200, but am now thinking of going all Eden (this may be out of my price range though). So what do you all think?

Genz-Benz GBE1200
    Aguilar DB410
    Aguilar DB210

OR

Eden WT800
    Eden 410XST or Eden 115XLT
    Eden 210XST/XLT

2. Dude, stick with the high quality products you have just bought and enjoy your sound thats coming out of it! If you have extra cash just give it to some poor people :)
    As for the Eden sound, i dont know, I like Incubus old bass player so much, and he was playing pretty much full Eden rigs, BUT the thing I didnt quite liked about him was his tone!

3. Deciding you don't like gear your ears tell you you like by reading reviews online is a bad plan financially and tonally.

If you have a chance to A/B them, then fine. If you straight up don't like your current rig, then fine. But don't make decisions about if a "theoretical" rig is better than something you've heard with your own ears based off of "reviews."

(Also, to contradict myself, I use entirely Aguilar stuff and would say that I can easily get a "gritty sound that can handle the low A." I'd definitely say that the cabs aren't your problem, regardless. Look into a beefier head than the GB like a Mesa, Aguilar, Ampeg, or perhaps even something all tube.)

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The eden cabs are great cabs. I like the GS series cabs from Aguilar and haven't really spent any time with the DB series cabs. The GS cabs are similar to the XLT, but a little cleaner without as much mid-range bump.

I don't know if I would go completely eden. What didn't you like about your sound thru these cabs? What amp were you using previously? Did the amp have enough power power the cabs? If everything was OK? I would start with an amp head that is tonally what you like before replacing speakers

5. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    :confused: The GBE-1200 puts out 1000 watts into a 4 ohm load. Is that not beefy enough? I have a GBE-750 that puts out 675 watts into 4 ohms and it's punishingly loud and clear through my Avatar B212 Delta.

I agree with the other points made in the thread. You need to try these amps side by side to see which setup suits you better. The Genz Benz sound is very clear to my ears, without much tonal coloration when the EQ is set flat. You can dial in just about any kind of sound you're looking for with the 5 band EQ, everything from low end thump, honky mids, scooped mids with sizzling highs, etc. You can also dial in some "grind" with the tube preamp channel. It's very versatile.

6. I meant "beefier" sounding, not power-wise. :)

7. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Inactive

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    Then when you get the Eden stuff, you will want to switch to another brand. It's a case of never being satisfied with what you have. I think most of us are guilty of it. We (all musicians)are all in search of the "perfect" sound or "setup", but I think it is near impossible to be 100% satisfied. Human nature I guess.

8. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender The less notes you play, the more money you make.

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Here is wisdom.

9. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Dude, the WT800 alone costs as much as the DB750. You want to pay even more to change the cabs as well, when you can have one of the best rigs for "gritty sound that can handle the B string"? Go to an Aguilar dealer and try out the DB750 with the DB cabs. I believe it will be all you could ask for - and more. I have an Eden WT550 and GAS pains for a DB750. Do NOT let online comments judge better than your ears, and especially on TB. This place is a great information goldmine, but there's also too much hype and too much "flavor of the month" going on. One year ago, practically everyone would be GASsing for Schroeder cabs. Now it's probably Bergantino IPs, tomorrow it will be god-knows-what. If you can afford to change your rig every six months then go for it, but if you need a rig to keep you satisfied, give you great tone and last you many years judge your ears only. Go TRY a DB750. For god's sake man, you live in the USA, I had to travel to another country to see if some basses and amps were good for me. Everyone is raving about Mark Bass amps, I tried a few and I found them ranging from "not for my taste" to "nice" at best. Go. Try. Listen. TB is nice to get an impression on things, but don't let others decide YOUR sound.
    PS: Try also the Eden with the DB cabs and with the Eden cabs and see what suites you. But personally I'd go with the DB750-DB cabs combo, they're made for each other and I think you can't really go wrong with this combo for gritty sound.

10. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    It's refreshing to hear all of you say this, now I know i'm not going crazy. I would love to A/B these cabs, but I don't know of any local places that carry both Eden and Aguilar high-end products.

When I tested the Aguilar cabs, I was running an Aguilar AG500 with this and an Ernie Ball bass. I own a Modulus Quantum 5, so the tone would be night and day as far as the bass goes. I'm also not planning on going with the Aggy head. But overall I was concerned about the low-end of this rig.

My old rig of 2 Mesa 1516's was devistating with a Mesa 400+, but it just wasn't practical. Our music isn't quite as heavy either, so i'm steering towards something more refined.

I haven't bought the head yet, so as someone stated, maybe using a tube head may help matters. (but the GBE1200 with the power, flexibility of 2 preamps and footswitch is quite enticing).

I guess either way I go will be a win/win situation, but I wish I could make up my damn mind! Thank you all for your input.

11. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    The WT800 is ~$1600 while the DB750 is $2200.

12. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Inactive

Sep 17, 2006
    Work

you know it!!!

13. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Its easy to get overwhelmed with GAS. I just recently went from Eden cabs to an Ampeg SVT810E and couldnt be happier. I found my partular Eden cabs to be lacking and had no idea what to get. I would have never thought to do this had I not compared the cabs side by side as I though my Eden cabs were pretty "high end".

Many would still argue that I have stepped down in quality by going to a 37 year old cab design. My ears tell me different though and I am really happy with the change.

You have a stellar rig, son't be worrying that your missing out on some fabulous tone out there just cause others rave about their Eden cabs, or Shroeder's, or whatever. If your rig putsa smile on your face when you plug in, than its good.

Crabby

14. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

get tube head that will complement those aggie cabs.

15. Wanna B Better

Wanna B Better Guest

May 20, 2006
    Central NY
    GBE1200 Agi 410 is my all time, must have, GAS for ever, dream rig. Tried the GBE750 and Agi 410 at Gelb Music in Redwood City (Ed is an awsome guy), and it just blew me away.

16. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    buy a huge ampeg rig!

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    yea, the eden sounds up your alley. the DB's i've heard all have a smooth, fat, rounded ballpeen hammer like attack, which is very different from the eden, which i do consider "grittier".

18. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Inactive

Jun 10, 2001
    Careful with the switch to Eden. I love the sound of their stuff but I've been experiencing some less than good quality lately. A lot of bad speakers, apparently the 1205 was shipped out before it was actually ready all to the knowledge of David N. and the powers that be. It's been well documented that the 1205 has a strange gain structure, something Eden has admitted to and has since issued a sort of recall which fixes the gain problem. The amp before the mod could not come close to putting out the watts listed in the specs. they knew this but sent the amps anyway. Also there appears to be a lot of preamp or amp failure with the 1205. Now that they've moved the whole factory from Montrose to Mundelein from what I understand they are having to hire a whole new tech crew. Early on after the buy out everything seemed OK but it appears the typical after the big buy out quality decline is now rearing it's ugly head. Hopefully they put a stop to this and get things back on track but as things are right now, I would only play their equipment if it were given to me. And that's a shame as I played their amp for 12 years.

19. I wouldn't say that the Eden is "grittier," grit for me comes from the amp or FX. The Eden does, however, have a bit of a mid bump, whereas the Aggie cabs I have tried were slightly scooped.

20. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I stand corrected then. I just assumed that, since they are both american products, the fact that they cost around the same in europe would mean that the price is similar in the US as well.
    Still, as I have a WT550, it is a little gritty but if you like tubey sound then the DB is way more up your alley. And I think it would make a much huger difference than replacing speakers, after all the DB speakers are pretty old-school, they aren't of the hi-fi philosophy. And with 6 10s in total and the deep switch on the 750 engaged I don't know how could the low end be lacking, dunno. I think you'll be looking at boominess below that.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021